Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rangoon
    • Jun 27 2013

Pertronic electronic ignition??

Hello everyone! I had the 1963 equipped with a stock 1967 390, 2bbl out last Sunday and it started to act as if it were running out of gas. (the tank is nearly half full) by playing with the gas pedal, I kept it from dying and was sure it would not get me back up a major hill on the blacktop where I live. Although it surged and loped, it did get me back home. What a relief! (Anyone who has had an old car has had that sick feeling of being broken down along the road).

This event has motivated me to do some things this week that I have been putting off since purchasing the car several years ago. I had already had the carb rebuilt right after purchasing. So now I started with removing the access plate and the sender from the gas tank. Pickup sock was very clean and surprising little rust in the original tank. I blew air through the line after removing it from the fuel pump. I then changed the canister filter on the fuel pump (pump looks like it has been replaced in the last 10 years or so), although the old filter did not look too bad. Also has an inline filter before the carb that I had replaced when the carb was rebuilt. So tonight I got it all buttoned up, poured a little gas down the carb (A couple of times) and she fired right off leading me to believe the fuel pump is strong and not the problem. but it was too late to take for a test drive. I am apprehensive because I didn't really find anything that looks like it was causing my problem.

The guy at the parts store told me that it could be my ignition and specifically the coil "breaking down". Has anyone had experience with this problem? I am thinking of buying an electronic ignition and new coil ($105) just to add more reliability to the car as I really enjoy driving it and would drive it even more except that my wife is always super afraid of "sitting next to the road".

Sorry for the length of post, just wanted to give enough info to get useful feedback and opinions re: electronic ignition from someone who has first hand experience.

Thanks,
    Dale
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

I haven't had good luck with a Pertronix module in my distributor. For some reason it just fried. So I reinstalled the old points and condenser.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

When I got my '59 Squarebird in 2007, it had a Pertronix electronic ignition and coil on it and it has worked perfect ever since...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Rangoon
        • Jun 27 2013

1"against" and 1 "for". Hmmmm. Thanks guys for the replies! Anybody else out there want to weigh in-heres your chance.

Had to be out of town on family matters all weekend and now very busy with farm work so still have not had time to take on test run to see if I accidently cured the surging/half dying problem.

Dale

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dale, there are a good number of us on here who are running electronic ignition with no problems that I am aware of. Hopefully, others will say something about their experiences with it. I will not go back to points.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Rangoon
            1"against" and 1 "for". Hmmmm. Thanks guys for the replies! Anybody else out there want to weigh in-heres your chance.

Had to be out of town on family matters all weekend and now very busy with farm work so still have not had time to take on test run to see if I accidently cured the surging/half dying problem.

Dale
            I installed a similar module in the distributor of my 79 Kawasaki back in the day and that kit worked fine up until I sold it a decade later. That was actually a dual point distributor in a 4 cylinder. I've made huge changes to the electrical system of my project Bird and it's likely I had wired my Pertonics wrong. But the points work for me for now, so until I finish the project I'm not going to try it again.

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
              Dale, there are a good number of us on here who are running electronic ignition with no problems that I am aware of. Hopefully, others will say something about their experiences with it. I will not go back to points.
              I had one in our 65 I sold and I have one in our 58. Can't really comment much about either one. Installed them and have never had to think about it since. Had the one in the 58 for probably eight years now, granted it doesn't get driven much.

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Rangoon

Dale
                My '66 Thunderbird had a Pertonix in it when I bought it in '05, still going strong.

I replaced the twin-points in my hot-rod '55 F100 back in '02 or so, it conked out in '12 so I bought TWO replacements, one sits behind the seat 'just in case'
                Not as cheap but easier to fit than an old set of points, condenser etc. as some advocate.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• FINSRIN
                  Experienced
                  • Aug 7 2010

59 Galaxie sat for 4-5 years. With new points, cond, cap, rotor, battery, gas, starting fluid,,, would light a cylinder occasionally but not run.
                  Installed Pertronics. Coughed, sputtered, smoked, then settled to running good in a minute or two.

Comment

• Rangoon
                    • Jun 27 2013

Well today was the day for the first test drive after going through the fuel system and everything went great! Started right off and never has ran better. Don't want to jinx things, but it must have been one of the fuel filters after all. Also adjusted the float on the sender arm while I had it out the other day so now my gauge reads more accurately.

Also replaced the gasket under the sender and lock ring and so far, no sign of gas leakage even with the tank pretty full and trying to get it to slop around. The old gasket was all rolled up and out of position.

Thanks for the input regarding the electronic ignition, I may still install one, but you know the old saying "if its not broke". So I may just enjoy the good running car for now

Dale

Comment

• flyinthermals
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 3 2013

Hey Dale,

I just installed the Pertronix 2 and the flamethrower coil on my 62 a few days ago. I am a rookie at best when it comes to electrical but it really was an easy install. The old coil was installed horizontally on top of the A/C compressor. It is recommended that the flamethrower coil be installed vertically so I mounted to the side of the compressor using the existing threaded holes. I went for a 130 mile trek today and noticed a big improvement. There seemed to be more power and at idle I noticed how smooth the engine ran. They say that this upgrade is the best bang for the buck we can do to our cars. So far I would have to agree.

How did you adjust the float for the fuel gauge? If it now shows full more accurately will it effect how empty reads? I ordered the gasket today for my fuel tank as well but is it necessary to get the locking ring or will the old one still work?
                      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Rangoon
                        • Jun 27 2013

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner- was out of town.

I reused my old lock ring and worked just fine. take your time and tap evenly on both ears so that it doesn't mis-shape your new gasket.

With regard to the gas gauge float, mine had been replaced and the float is a piece of foam like material that was attached to the arm in such a way that it could be easily adjusted on the arm. i moved it higher on the arm to trick the gauge to show an emptier tank than it really is.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• flyinthermals
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 3 2013

Thanks for the reply. I practiced on a used sending unit with a meter to figure the best way to bend it to get a less resistance or full reading. I broke it of course. I was not sure if I should bend the little tab that stops the arm or the arm itself. Until I figure it out I will live with full being 3/4 on the gauge.
                          sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

I have owned a 1960 thunderbird for about 3 years. One of the first things I did was install electronic ignition. It has worked just fine no trouble.

This winter the car will get power seats.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎