X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Inconsistent steering

Still working out bugs in this car, getting down to the minor annoyances now.

All of the wear components have been replaced in the steering system: ball joints, tie rod ends, rag joint. The box was rebuilt. I have no confidence in the guy who rebuilt it but it no longer leaks, and he rebuilt the wiper motor at the same time and that works perfectly now.

The issue is when following gentle curves on a two-lane. As I turn left or right the initiation is smooth, but after that the car seems to "fall" into the turn.

The car was aligned last month with toe-in set to 0.5 degrees on each wheel, 1.0 degree total. I increased that a little bit, to about 1 degree both sides, in an attempt to correct the problem but it had no effect.

When parked, engine off, there is a small amount of slop in the steering wheel that coincides approximately with the turning characteristic.

Is there a way to adjust the steering box to take the slop out? Is that the problem, or should I be looking elsewhere?
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Having my wife turn the steering wheel back and forth while I looked under the car, I've determined that the loosness is in the steering box.

I've read about as much as I can on this. The factory manual has a complex method of setting the adjusting screw, draining fluids and using an inch-pound torque wrench. Discussion board discuss quick and dirty methods, by tightening incrementally. Several posters warn about over-tightening, which would induce lock-up. Most suggest increments of 1/6 to 1/4 turn, so I did 1/8 earlier this evening. It's too dark to test drive, so I'll see what happens with this tomorrow.

The first picture is initial, the second is my first increment. After loosening the lock nut with a socket wrench, I found that the adjusting screw returned to its original position when torqued to 50#-ft, so that's what I'm using to re-tighten.
    Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I don't get it. After you outlined all the methods for correctly setting your ball-screw steering box, you decided to arbitrarily turn the screw 1/8th of a turn? Why not follow the procedure Ford engineers published in the Shop Manual? Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for disaster down the road. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

The shop manual doesn't address the symptoms that I am experiencing. I was hoping to rely somewhat on what others have done to address this in as simple a way as possible. Tightening 1/8 of a turn followed by test driving in a trial-and-error attempt isn't "arbitrary".

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Yadkin
          ...The factory manual has a complex method of setting the adjusting screw, draining fluids and using an inch-pound torque wrench...
          Yes, and it's in 9-1. Section 1 covers Troubleshooting and Section 2 says this in the very first paragraph:
          "The ball nut assembly and the sector gear must be adjusted properly to maintain minimum steering shaft end play, a factor of preload adjustment and minimum backlash between the sector gear and the ball nut Fig. 1. There are only two possible adjustments within the recirculating ball type steering gear, and these should be made in the following order to avoid damage or gear failure."

Two adjustments. Know what they are? You turned the sector shaft adjusting screw but what about the steering shaft bearing adjuster?

It's your car but if it were mine I would follow the shop manual to the letter. Ford engineers are highly trained, well paid and they represent far more than 'some guys on the net' who take responsibility for nothing. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            You turned the sector shaft adjusting screw but what about the steering shaft bearing adjuster?
            I don't see that second adjustment in my manual.
            Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

OMG, Steve! Aren't you an Engineer? They completely tear down the steering box then they show all the parts and how they go together.

The very most critical adjustment is the one you turned without following the Shop Manual. I think you can figure it out. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Dave, I'm finding the directions for adjusting this gear very confusing.

First of all, Table 2 on page 3-3, symptom "loose steering" points to item 21 "incorrect steering gear adjustment". Section 2 is IN-CAR ADJUSTMENTS AND REPAIRS, and the only adjustment in this section is WORM BEARING PRELOAD AND SECTOR ADJUSTMENT.

Item 10 describes adjusting the sector adjusting screw but nothing else. Figure 18 shows two different adjusters, but no instructions (or description) of the second.
                Last edited by Yadkin; April 18, 2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

"Light dawns on Marblehead."

Item 7 refers to the adjuster at the pitman arm (the first adjustment). Item 10 refers to sector adjuster screw.

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

I don't see a special wrench recommended to turn this adjuster (or loosen/ tighten the lock nut). Can this be done with a punch and hammer?

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Man, that Pitman arm was a job to take off. I had to use a 4' bar on a 1-7/16" socket to take the nut off. I'm glad I went ahead and bought a heavy duty puller, made for Ford trucks (Lisle 41970). It was almost too big, but I worked the heck out of it. Lithium grease on the threads, tighten as much as I dare, PB blaster, hammer on the arm like a madman, heat, re-torque, repeat.

I measured 3-5#-in 20 degrees from the stop turning right, and 5-6 in the opposite direction.

Working with a long bar, hammer, PB blaster, below the hood hinge, then again through the removed inner fender, I can't make the adjuster nut move. So the box is coming out.

Since I have to remove it anyway, I'm just going to use it as a core for a remanufactured unit. Looks like Pat Wilson has the best prices on these.

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Actually Rock Auto is $90 less. Hefty core charge though.

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

Are those insulator mounts gold plated?

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

Any tips on removal? The rebuilt should be here Tuesday. I know I'll have to shift and lift the motor. Hoses, input shaft, three mount bolts, then plop it onto a few layers of cardboard so it doesn't crack the concrete floor.

Comment

• stubbie
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 7 2011

They are heavy and you will find that you can probably only get one hand in there to hold it up. I did mine on my back on the floor. It kind of needs you to push up on the back end of the box and pull slightly towards the firewall, then do a half sumersault with a three quarter pike to get it past the block. There is a spot were you will find it will just slide past everything and just fall out. I found when putting it back it was easier to use my engine crane to take the weight and put it back in reverse of the way you took it out. If you can remember. Enjoy the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎