X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

fair price for a 428???

Any idea what you would expect to pay for something like this? I know it doesn't say much, but if it's legit does this sound too good to be true for $3000?

Fresh rebuilt 428 dual quad cobra engine. Date code is January 10th 1968. True 428 with a 4.155 bore and 3.98 stroke. Has a mild hydraulic .500 lift cam with springs and mild port work done to the heads. 10:1 compression. Has original cobra valve covers.

I haven't done much shopping around so I don't know if these are tough to find.

thx, Dave J
  • KULTULZ

Well,

All depends on whether it is a 428PI 8V (used in 1967 SHELBY MUST) or a 428 COBRA JET 4V (used in 1968).

The only production dual quad 428 was installed in the 1967 GT-500. The 68 saw the CJ (single 4V) (early 1968 production was the 428PI from the previous year I believe).

He needs to offer more info.

Let me correct this. The early 1968 GT500 had the previous year 428PI 8V installed. The 428CJ engine was not introduced until the spring of that model year, so the engine advertised should be the 355HP version. The CJ was rated @ 335HP (they cheated a little bit on the true rating - more attune to 400HP).

If all is true, it is well worth the money and yes it will fly as I had a 67...
    Last edited by Guest; May 21, 2013, 09:21 AM. Reason: CORRECTION

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Oh well, it's a mute point now. Just talked to him and he sold it.

The heads were C8AE-H. New Edelbrock 2x4 intake.

He said the buyer was a little skeptic so he took all the numbers and checked it out. From what I could find on line you can only tell by looking at the crank?
      Probably just as well, I would have had to drive 10 hours to Las Vegas which would have cost me another $500, and I would have had no idea if the work done was any good or not.

Anyway.....

Comment

• KULTULZ

New Edelbrock 2x4 intake
        That right there tells me it is not a genuine COBRA 428 (SHELBY).

It is one of those things you have to go through to make sure you are getting what you think you are. The whole hobby is getting too risky and costly.

Just a gone through 390 or regular 428 will give you all you want.

This URL http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-main will show how to ID just the more popular COBRA JET engine components. It is not always easy to keep from being taken.

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

Thx Gary, that's a great link.
          While we're at it I have something else. My 390 dipstick tube was very worn where it enters the block, it pulls out with the stick. I ordered a replacement from Summit. What they sent is longer than the one I have. If I hold them side by side and line up the stopper ring that hits the block the new one is a little longer. Summit is sure what they sent is correct. Should I be worried?

I know the motor I have had been worked on before so maybe they used the wrong length?

Thoughts?

thx, Dave J

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by davidmij

My 390 dipstick tube was very worn where it enters the block, it pulls out with the stick. I ordered a replacement from Summit. What they sent is longer than the one I have. If I hold them side by side and line up the stopper ring that hits the block the new one is a little longer. Summit is sure what they sent is correct. Should I be worried?

I know the motor I have had been worked on before so maybe they used the wrong length?

Thoughts?

thx, Dave J
            You need to fing the correct tube, OEM or repro. One of the TBIRD houses should have one. What SUMMIT/JEGS sales is mostly aftermarket one hopefully fits all. You will get an incorrect reading with the SUMMIT tube.

Let me know if you can't find one.

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

Huh, that seems weird to me. There were a ton of 390's made throughout the years - mine is out of a 67 LTD. You would think the big parts warehouses would have the correct one.

Found this, a bit long read but tons of info. I had thought the rib should hit the block to set the depth but this says no. Go down to the part, "Installing removing dipstick tube".

Anyway, I gotta go now, but I'll see what i can find on a 1967 LTD 390 as far as oil capacity.

thx again, Dave

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎