X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhuebner
    Experienced
    • Apr 12 2014

Power steering/ wipers don't work

Was going over the car getting ready to register it this week, found the power steering not to be working, I have the car on stands steering is easier with car off then running also found that the wipers will work ( with lever in the ON position ) as I move the steering wheel left right, disconnected hose coming from power steering pump going to fire wall fluid came out from the connection also loosen hard line from power steering pump had fluid any thoughts ideas with this.
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

The pump, steering box and wipers are all on the same hydraulic circuit. The pump pressurizes the fluid, and the fluid goes through a high pressure hose to the steering box. A second high pressure hose takes the fluid next to the wiper motor through the fire wall, (under the cowl panel). A low pressure hose then returns the fluid to the pump.

Both high pressure hoses have screw-on fittings, while the low pressure hose has barbed fittings with hose clamps.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Were the steering and wipers working before and now they're not or are you just trying to get them to work. My first thought would be to put everything back together, fill with fluid, start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times to get all the air out. The more times you do it the easier it should become to steer. If it still doesn't work then you could have a bad power steering pump or something in the steering gear itself. Even if the wipers don't work the fluid just goes in and comes back out so your steering should still work.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jhuebner
        Experienced
        • Apr 12 2014

Steering and wipers were both working before, the pump is less than a year old, turned the steering lock to lock several times nothing changed.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Check all connections and fluid level. Run the engine, turn the wheel lock-to-lock as suggested and recheck the fluid level.

Comment

• jhuebner
            Experienced
            • Apr 12 2014

Will be able tomorrow afternoon......it's now too late over here in Germany, thanks for the suggestion guys.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you see the fluid level going down and you don't see any obvious leaks from the pump or lines you may have to take the cowl off and check the wiper motor. It may be leaking.

John

Comment

• jhuebner
                Experienced
                • Apr 12 2014

fluid level remained full overnight, tried once again to bleed system no change, noticed when I rev the motor up to around 1200-1500 rpm the wipers would work slowly, decided to drain fluid went ahead and changed both lines coming off the power steering pump I had new ones on hand, refilled and turned wheels lock to lock several times could hear the fluid being slushed around, waited for fluid to settle, added some fluid and once again turned steering lock to lock could hear the fluid being slushed around however not as much was not able to bleed system with the car running......was to late in the evening (midnight ).

Comment

• HighwayThunder
                  Experienced
                  • Nov 19 2013

Power Steering/Wiper hose connections

Just in case, here's a diagram of the connections.
                  Attached Files
                  Richard, '66 Thunderbird Hardtop, 390FE, Edelbrock Al heads, Comp cam, Street Demon 650 carb. Visit my restoration blog at hwythunder.com.

Comment

• jhuebner
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 12 2014

Thanks, for the clear schematic I have the lines connected correctly, just tried with the car running, still no wipers only when turning the steering wheel, had fluid leaking out from the filler cap, I'm not to concerned about the power steering working just yet, but I need the wipers to work for inspection. I register the car Thursday, will have more time tomorrow to mess with it plus I need more fluid.

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You may have to adjust the cable on the wiper motor. The wiper cable may not be pulling the lever open far enough. You will need to remove the cowl to do that. If that doesn't fix it you may need to get another wiper motor. However since you are having trouble with both the wipers and power steering my guess is that the power steering pump is not generating enough hydraulic pressure for either system to work properly.

John
                      Last edited by jopizz; April 5, 2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• jhuebner
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 12 2014

Will give the cable a shot......wishful thinking maybe during a drive the car fixes itself....ja right.....any tips on taking the wiper arms off to remove the cowl

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

To remove the arms you will need to pull them all the way up toward you and twist the arm back and forth where it goes into the post while you are pulling up on it. If that doesn't work you can try a large screwdriver to pry it up. Just put something under it to protect the paint.

John

Comment

• jhuebner
                            Experienced
                            • Apr 12 2014

Pulled the cowl, no fluid leakage and the wiper cable is as it should be fully closing and opening I also disconnected the line going from the steering gear to firewall to verify fluid, turned the steering wheel alittle and had fluid flow I know for certain that the fluid is flowing through all lines at least when I turn the wheel, I noticed I could hear air coming out of filler cap as I turn steering wheel, removed cap to verify turned wheel no air leak is this normal......with car running and I remove filler cap shouldn't I see fluid movement will check tomorrow.

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I know I'm stating the obvious but make sure your belt is tight and not slipping. Also make sure you are using a 1/2" belt for your power steering and not 3/8". You should see some movement of the fluid. After a while it may start to look like foam. I assume you are using the correct Type F transmission fluid.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎