Collapse
No announcement yet.

steering box

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's just what I'm trying to do. I think all I need now is the manual center link and I'm home free. Any ideas for a source??
    Thanks.
    Joe

Comment

KULTULZ, I've got to assume there is a big difference between boxes?? I'm going to save the power assist for someone else to screw with. I'm in too far on this one but have to keep going. I sure hope the demand for 68/69 Fairlanes goes up.
      Joe

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by joe1946

KULTULZ, I've got to assume there is a big difference between boxes??
        Usually ratio. Let me see what I can find as for a drag link.

Comment

I've found one part number for the drag link, power or manual. The only real difference that we can find so far is the steering ratio but how much different I can't figure out. Anyway I've ordered a new center link, it's listed under rare parts. I saw the conversion you had mentioned and decided to keep the power assist complete for the next guy.
          Thanks for the help.
          Joe

Comment

• KULTULZ

Listen, there are two drag links, one for manual and one for power assist. Same for the pitman and idler arm. This is why that conversion piece is so popular.

The box ratio is not given in the parts catalog. It will be found in the Shop Manual for that year.

Let me give you a reference for your car-

Let us know how you come out.

Comment

Thank you very much. And I thought this was going to be easy. I've Emailed Woody to see if he can straighten me out on what I need and where to find it. Boy, am I upside down in this car now. Sound slightly familiar???
              Thanks again.
              Joe

Comment

• KULTULZ

Yes, it sounds very familiar. Us old guys were young once too and there wasn't all the info out there like there is today.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

You will find everything you need for it, don't worry.

Gary

Comment

I'm not young any more either. I stumped Woodie and he sent me on to other sites. I'm sure the parts are out there, it's down to whether or not I can afford them. I think it's time to take the Bird out for a cruise just to relax.
                  Thanks again. You guys are the best.
                  Joe

Comment

• KULTULZ

I stumped Woodie and he sent me on to other sites.
                    Hmmph.

Let me know how you do. if no luck I will try to find everything.

Comment

I started to look at all the parts that need to be changed over and got into the "Rare" listing. I'm going to try and cancel my order on the center link and order the conversion kit. The bank has almost closed on this old girl. I'm at the point where I'll have more in her than she will ever be worth. If I can get her to drive down the road correctly it might be time to bite the bullet and recoupe what ever I can and walk away. It would have cost well over $600 to get all the parts not to mention what it would cost to get them installed. Social security only goes so far. I'll stick to the 60 Bird. She's been good to me.
                      Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
                      I'm finding it really strange to see the difference between sites. Squarebirds and a Mustang site have been most helpful. I'm not going to mention what I think about the Fairlane site. A serious difference.
                      Thanks again.
                      Joe

Comment

• KULTULZ

I'm finding it really strange to see the difference between sites.
                        Squarebirds and a Mustang site have been most helpful. I'm not going to mention what I think about the Fairlane site. A serious difference.

Thanks again.

Joe
                        It surprises me also. This changeover has probably been done numerous times and someone there should have the details. But you are correct, it is expensive to go either way.

Comment

The boys(and girls) at Advanced Auto have been really good to me. The conversion kit is now on the way. I should have it by Thursday or Friday. I just hope already having the manual steering box isn't going to throw things off.
                          I'll let you know how it goes.
                          Thanks.
                          Joe

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎