No announcement yet.

Any headliner replacement gurus out there

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any headliner replacement gurus out there

Hi, I have removed the old headliner out of my '62 but noticed there are what's left of 1/2 inch approx strips of rubberish or leather like material inerted in the tabs just above where you would glue in the headliner. I looked in the parts suppliers books but found nothing, any ideas from anyone. Thanks
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

I'm no guru but I did replace mine in my '60.

Here's what I found....

The white headliner I ordered was much lighter than my original - even under the chrome trim where it was protected (and this is a one owner garaged car so pretty sure of their wasn't much fading under the chrome) Had a shop make mine out of a material that duplicated the original almost exact - probably as close as you can get these days to 1960 materials. Cost was about $50 more than the "off the shelf" headliner.

I tried about 4 different electric staplers (well make that 3 electric and one mechanical). None of them were strong enough to drive the staples into the strips (no glue). My strips (pics below) were more like a thin Masonite material in the center of the metal. Luckily mine were in good shape. I wound up borrowing an air stapler from a trim shop (different one than the one that made the headliner - he went out of business). Guess the guy figured I would mess up the headliner and then he would get the bucks to fix it. With the correct stapler it was a breeze. The stapler also used basically the same staples that were in there originally - maybe just a bit wider.
    A trim shop might be able to help you with finding a material to replace your strips if needed.

Cut your dome light hole out after you steam and tighten the headliner. I cut mine before and as I steamed the wrinkles out it almost pulled too far to the front. Luckily the light trim still covers it (barely).

I also added a little poly batting material on top of the headliner to help keep the heat out and cool in. 2 layers were about 1/2 inch thick.

On the '60 the headliner bows are color coded for order - not sure how they are on the Rocketbirds but just keep track of how they came out

Good luck - hope it comes out great.

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric
      Thanks for the detailed info, the 60 is a different setup than the 62 but you have shed some light on the scenario. your headliner turned out great!
      thanks again
      Gas

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by gas62tbird
        Hi, I have removed the old headliner out of my '62 but noticed there are what's left of 1/2 inch approx strips of rubberish or leather like material inerted in the tabs just above where you would glue in the headliner. I looked in the parts suppliers books but found nothing, any ideas from anyone. Thanks
        It's called "tack strip". The cardboard has been replaced with a hard rubber material. Use #6 self tapping screws to install the strip then staples to attach the headliner to the strip.

Comment

• 840 840 840
          Experienced
          • Dec 30 2008

On our 56 we bought a pre built headliner from a Bird supply company. It was so thin the holes started to deform the material was so thin.
          So we ordered white perforated seat material and had the headliner built local. Also had the bow channels made three inches long in the sail area to get a smoother bow.
          Seat material work perfect.
          Charley

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎