• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pat64tbird
    Apprentice
    • Apr 3 2014

Help with front suspension.

Hello Members,

I am rebuilding the upper and lower arm on my brothers Thunderbird. According to the factory shop manual (for a 1964 Thunderbird), the Upper Arm Inner Shaft to arm bushing torque is: 100 pounds. But when I torque the two bushings the inner shaft is very hard to move. Is this movement problem normal? If I loosen the bushing by 1/4 turn the inner shaft moves easier.
    Another question is: I can get a 45 and a 90 degree grease fitting on the front bushing but not on the rear one. The shock tower is in the way. Has anyone drilled a hole in the shock tower, so that it can be greased from the engine compartment?
    Or should I just plug that bushing grease hole? Thank you.

Patrick
  • pat64tbird
    Apprentice
    • Apr 3 2014

Hello Members,

I checked on YouTube and there was a video that answered my questions. If anyone has some information (when they did this project) I would still be interested. Thank you.

Patrick

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Yes Patrick, the end caps require even more than 100 ft/lbs. I drive them all the way home (as the shaft butts against the nut, then back the nut off at least 1/4-turn.

It's impossible for the grease hole to go all the way through the shaft but Ford could have done a better job. The upper shaft normally comes with a zirk or a plug. I would drill another hole from the top of the nut but at the end of the threads, to give clear access to a new zirk IF you're concerned about grease escaping. Orient the new zirk as you install the shaft to the frame.

I buy a good Moly-lithium grease for automotive then I run it through a 'personal test'. I put a dab between my index finger and thumb. When I pull them apart I want to see a LONG string of grease instead of immediate separation. This tells me the grease wicks and sticks to itself so it won't end up in a dried up useless ball hiding in a cranny. Then, I use that same grease for spindle bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends. The last tube I got was for industrial use but I didn't recognize the brand (it was made in Texas, if I recall). - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pat64tbird
        Apprentice
        • Apr 3 2014

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢