X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy
    Experienced
    • Dec 21 2015

Old Ford Mechanic

look what I found under Terri's Moms house he worked at the ford dealership in the Glendale Pasadena area in the 40s 50s I thought it was swell when I get time Ill pull it out and video it see if it works!!..................................................... ... [IMG]20170320_133811 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]............................................................ ...[IMG]20170320_135309 by Randy harsha, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
    Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!
  • del
    Retired Expert Enthusiast
    • May 11 2010

Battery charger?
    Regards,
    Don Vincent
    Amherst NY
    1960 HT 352
    TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Randy, I got your PM and it was really nice. I read it through a few times just to get a good understanding of your heart-felt gratitude and appreciation. Thank You, but I enjoy helping you.

Regarding this M/G (motor-generator) set, before you start it, blow out the generator with air while slowly rotating to get all the grit out, and do the following:

Don't take anything for granted. Take a close-up picture of the motor's name plate (so I can read it) and another of where the cord enters. In fact, you should see TWO cords, one for the motor and one for the generator. The generator and regulator may be 6-volt if it was from before 1956. Look around the generator and regulator for a voltage before you connect a 12-volt battery. <--This is important.

The motor looks big enough to supply 360-watts (12v X 30a) because that will require more than 1/2-HP.

This setup is identical to a car and it works every bit as well with a regulated charging system that goes all the way up to 30-amps. If it falls a little short of 30-amps, put a larger-diameter pulley on the motor.

If it doesn't work at first, you may need to flash the field because it sat for so long causing the generator's armature to lose all of its magnetism.

'Flashing the field' is common with the old generator/regulator setups. Adding a GEN light automatically flashes the field as soon as you turn your key on (in a car). If you want to add a GEN light, simply connect one on the regulator (with the jumper cables) between ARM and BAT. This will keep the regulator 'on' the whole time a battery is connected to those jumper cables. The GEN light is telling the regulator that the 'key is turned on' as it tickles the armature with a little current to form magnetism.

If you want to know more about how this works, I'll go into it. Otherwise... this is strictly a mechanical setup with NO solid state components. It couldn't care less which way current flows through the gen or the voltage regulator. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Randy
        Experienced
        • Dec 21 2015

Ok ill send you a good close up, Dave before anything.
        "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
        Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎