No announcement yet.

430 Spark plug wire help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

430 Spark plug wire help!

I'm trying to buy a set of spark plug wires for my 60 430. Some of the vendors list a seperate set for the 430 other do not saying that they are all the same as the 352 wires. Does any one know if they are different and who sell wires for the 430.
  • JBird
    Experienced
    • May 22 2005

RE: 430 Spark plug wire help!

some of the early 430's had rubber grommets on eack wire. The grommets fit into a metal comb on the valve cover. Some early 1959 T-Birds with the 58 Lincoln engines had them and a scarce few 1958 T-Birds did too. There were some made dispite rumors there were not.

See what I mean:

Comment

So other than the grommets, which I dont have, the same set will fit on 352 and 430.

Comment

• JBird
        Experienced
        • May 22 2005

I'm checking my electrical assembly dwg's right now to see.

Comment

• JBird
          Experienced
          • May 22 2005

All my books list the 59/60 430 wires as different from the 352. Why I don't know. PN 12259 for the 430 and 352 are different though. I'm still researching for why.

Comment

• JBird
            Experienced
            • May 22 2005

>I'm trying to buy a set of spark plug wires for my 60 430.
            >Some of the vendors list a seperate set for the 430 other do
            >not saying that they are all the same as the 352 wires. Does
            >any one know if they are different and who sell wires for
            >the 430.

it has to be something to do with TVRS wires. That's "Television & Radio Supression" wires that interfered with TV and Radios?

Early cars had solid copper/steel wires and when the Cuban Missile Crisis took place back in 1962 cars were being pulled over by the Army in Florida because the solid wires emitted an electromagnetic field like a radio antenna and it interfered with Army radar as they were watching Cuba for a missile attack on the U.S.

After that scare I believe congress mandated carbon/nylon wires in all cars and old wires replaced with carbon and the "reststive wire" was born. The short particles of carbon could conduct electricity but the wires didn't act like an antenna.

Other than that there isn't any reason I can thing of why a 352 wire won't work. A volt is a volt. If they fit and they reach they should work.

Those smarter and more informed PLEASE jump in and help here.

Dave

Comment

• KULTULZ

The FE's are too short to fit the 352 correctly (greater engine width.

Are you just looking for replacement wires or dedicated restoration? If just replacement, 460 universals will work.

Comment

• Hawkrod
                Experienced
                • Oct 31 2005

Yes, it is simply wire length that makes them different. And I diagree about 58 parts used on a 59. Showing a prototype mule built well before the new model year and offering it as proof is useless. I have already explained at length why Ford did not use left over parts and it is well documented. There were no 58 Lincoln engines used in a 59 Tbird. There were no 59 tbirds built using a Holley carb and they all used the 59 style valve cover. If they had used 58 style parts on even a single car the MPC would note it so replacement parts could be ordered. Ford production was not so haphazard that there were old leftover parts waiting to be used up. Ford used a JIT system and engines were assembled at the engine plant and shipped to the vehicle assembly plant on a weekly basis. The engines were not piled up waiting to be used, there were only enough engines available for planned units plus a small percentage for use when defects were found. The parts were also not stocked in a way that old units could end up sitting while new ones were used as the engine stock area is pulled from the front for assembly and filled from the back with shipments. Also, when the plant closes down for the model year change, all old parts are cleared from the building before new parts were brought in to prevent accidentally installing the wrong part. It is a fallacy that Ford used up leftover parts or whatever was on hand. Whenever there was a shortage, whatever they used to replace that part was well documented and noted in service letters and parts books. Hawkrod

Comment

• partsetal
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 4 2005

Many of the aftermarket suppliers indicate that their wire sets fit all Ford V-8's within a certain year range, and of course they do. They do not fit as the originals, but they do fit. The V-8 set that I use fits both the 352 and the 430, but there is one wire on the 430 that I wish was a little longer as it looks just a little short when installed. But, it does work. If you have a driver these sets are OK, if you're looking for concourse quality, pass them by.

Comment

• KULTULZ

I came across this original post while CAROUSING WITH MY BROWSER researching IGN WIRES for a MEL Engine-

and I need to correct it for those that GOOGLE.

Originally posted by KULTULZ 10-05-2006 #7

The FE's are too short to fit the 352 correctly (greater engine width.
                    That statement should have read-

The FE's (meaning 352/390 wire sets) are too short to fit a 430 ENGINE correctly and will result in a not proper appearance (greater engine width/length).

Original (period) service plug wire sets from FORD were more or less manufactured for a certain engine series.

Are you just looking for replacement wires or dedicated restoration? If just replacement, 460 universals will (should) work.
                    Quality original wire sets were more or less dedicated to the original assembly wire sets, allowing one service set to fit more than one application. FORD P & A got even sloppier later offering sets (third PN Prefix Character P) that would fit a multitude of engines, hence presenting a worse appearance installed.

MOTORCRAFT replacements will not appear original but a dedicated restoration wire set (AUTOLITE) for a 429/460 should.

C5AZ 12259-F (FE Specific) are dedicated repros and look good (IMO) on a FE with standard rocker covers.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Comment

• KULTULZ

These are period correct wires for a 1968 460 (the 430 and 460 having the same bore spacing so they should be a close fit).

While a J-BIRD is pre-AUTOLITE days, these are not period correct but will fool most.

MARTI AUTO-

I will keep an eye open for period correct wires (FOMOCO) for the J-BIRD.

Comment

This might help but then there is no picture. Lincoln land in florida has wires for 1958-1968 , 430-462 mels. There $50.00 a set so you should prob. call and see.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Universal Replacement Ign Wire Sets

If someone just wants a premium set of wires that are not period correct, MOTORCRAFT (FORD) offers a set to fit the 66/68 LINC 462CI (7mm) so these will fit the earlier 430 (383 & 410) with no problem.

They will read MOTORCRAFT and will make the engine stand out over most generic sets (IMO).

WR3800BR

CIRCLE DISTRIBUTING has them for about 22.00.

Comment

Well I guess they aint right!

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by tbirds8

Well I guess they aint right!
                              I don't understand...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢