X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkmech
    Apprentice
    • Feb 6 2014

65 390 carb

Car has original carb. I think the base may be warped. Cant seem to get butterflies to center in bores. Tried to loosen screws hold butterflies closed and retighten screws but still wont close. I understand some carbs can be purchased pre jetted for your application. Any suggestions on which carb to go with.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I recommend the Edelbrock 1406 as a replacement. It bolts right on and needs very minor adjustments right out of the box.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

I also recommend the Carter/Edelbrock carb!!
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bkmech
        Apprentice
        • Feb 6 2014

Thanks for your help Where could I get a good price on carb

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It seems like $313 is the going price at both Summit Racing and Jegs. Most local auto stores also carry that model so I would check around. You can also look around for a used one. I got mine for under $100.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Put the base on a sheet of plate glass or a granite countertop and see if it is the bottom surface that is warped. If so you may be able to get a local machine shop cut it back flat.

Or, try ebay for a core on your Autolite. The same thing happened to me (warped body) and I found a numbers matching one. Yeah I got lucky but there were a lot on sale that were close and could have been had for cheap. I was able to pick and choose the best components from each and build my current one.

Comment

• jhuebner
              Experienced
              • Apr 12 2014

Dont even mess around with a used carb, get a new Edelbrock 1406 with the Ford linkage bolts right, all I had to do was adjust the idle and choke car runs like a top, just installed like two weeks ago see my post a few down from this post

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎