Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warmblood58
    • Jan 24 2017

Recommended Spark Plugs for 1964?

Car I am working on has Autolites - gap seemed awfully big too. What plugs are members recommending for '64 and what is gap? Thanks - never been fond of Autolites . . . .
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Autolite BF-42's were the factory plugs. The gap should be .035. If you don't like Autolite plugs then go with Champion 22's or Motorcraft SP420's. The gap is the same. Those are all standard copper plugs. You can certainly go for more expensive platinum plugs but I usually stick with what works for the cheapest price.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

I don't like Autolites either. I've broken way too many of the insulators. The shape of the connector doesn't "click" in as good as a Motorcraft either.

I agree with John, Motorcraft SP420. $3 a pop. Order online at Advance for in-store pick up and I typically get 20% off.

I've experimented with a gap larger than .035 with a hotter coil and not had good luck.

Comment

• FARONZ 66 Q CODE
        • Sep 25 2013

spark plugs

Does that hold for the 428 I have in my 66 ? Thanks in advance !

Faron

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Check with your local parts store for fitment, but my guess it's the same plug.

I am currently experimenting with a slightly "colder" plug, the Autolite AR33. That's only because I have EFI and are looking to lean out my AF ratios as much as possible, trying to achieve 16 mpg.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎