X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1oldkid
    Apprentice
    • Oct 5 2011

1OldKid's 66

Thought I would start a build thread on one of my projects. I am a couple of yrs in to the project already but as I recently joined the forum, thought I would share. Here's the 'cliff notes' version from the start.
    Wasn't really looking for another project, already had 2 others but looking through the collector car trader a couple of yrs ago I came across a 66 T-Bird loaded and a "Q" code for less than others listed. I watched the ads for about 6 weeks, the price dropping a little each week. Finally told (read as "asked") the wife if I could call on it and see why it's still listed. I'm in LA car was up in Nor-Cal. He had a lot of calls but 500
    + miles was a long way to go to look at a car. After looking at pictures he sent me, we struck a pending deal over the phone for an even lower price. He was an Estate Sales Jewelry guy and got this car in a sale. He just wanted to turn it. Deal was struck, drove it on the trailer and brought it home. The day it came home.
    Attached Files
  • 1oldkid
    Apprentice
    • Oct 5 2011

The car was owned by an older couple up in Nor-Cal and was in great shape. Pwr windows/vents/seat, reclining pass. seat, remote truck release, A/C, cruise and 4 speaker 'stereo'. White with the aqua interior was not my first choice but as this was/is not going to be a concours resto I was more concerned with it being a solid car. No rust or big body damage. I am taking this to a resto mod design but will be able to turn it back to original if I decide to later. I already have a concours resto car so this will have some uumph to it especially with the 428. Here's how the interior and engine looked.
    Attached Files

Comment

• 1oldkid
      Apprentice
      • Oct 5 2011

White was too plain jane for me so we took it down to a shell so we could add color in all the nooks and crannies. Here it is getting ready to go in to the shop.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 1oldkid
        Apprentice
        • Oct 5 2011

Tearing it apart creates a pile of parts....
        Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1OldKid's 66

Hi Dan! Thanks for posting the pix and the commentary! She was already one pretty looking Flairbird when you got her! I am sure the guys and gals will be interested in seeing and hearing more regarding the work you have and are doing on her. I love the '66's.. I think the Flairbird really has style and beauty!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Dan,
            What a awesome Thunderbird! Keep us posted!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Yep, looks like you got everything bagged and tagged properly. That will save you a lot of time when you reassemble.

Your car will look better than new when you're done. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 1oldkid
                Apprentice
                • Oct 5 2011

Yes I have done a number of vehicles of the years and learned to take a whole lot of pictures all the way through the tear down process and bag and label each bag of parts. It makes putting the car back together much easier 2-3 years later when we get to that point. I have some plastic sheet covers that I print out pictures of certain areas I am working on and put the pictures in them then my greasy fingers don't mess the pics up. I am just finishing up the insulating of the interior. I'm using a product similar to Dynamat but more affordable. Under the headliner, and front seat area is done. Need to do under the rear seat area and inside the doors next. Pics of that to follow.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 3 2011

Originally posted by 1oldkid
                  similar to Dynamat but more affordable.
                  One of my projects will be to do my interior and probably trunk.

What are you using? There is a bunch of stuff out there that I have been looking at.

Here is one of them:

http://secondskinaudio.com/ This stuff is reviewed well and not asphalt.

A lot of them are just roofing insulation that you could get at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Thanks,
                  Jim
                  Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                  sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I think Dyna Mat is out of reach too. I always get back to the same question: What does the factory use...
                    After the Body Shop, it goes to Paint. They etch all the weld flash and crap off with phosphoric acid in a process they call, Bonderite (which gives paint a surface to stick to). Then they Electrocote and bake.

The Sealer Deck is next, and this is the part where all seams and voids get plugged with a special vinyl that bloats in the oven, but paint sticks to it and it never hardens.

Truck bed liner is very similar. It can be sprayed or brushed-on, it's rubberized, paintable, and it keeps moisture away. Perfect for floorboards that tend to trap water under those 'tar mats'. Everyone sells spray cans of this stuff for about US$5. I like it because it isn't tar, and a wire brush removes it. Dyna Mat pads have their place but I prefer not to use it. -my 2 cents. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 1oldkid
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 5 2011

Here is the stuff I am using. This is the first vehicle I have tried this stuff on. Always wanted to use the dynamat but the price was too much for me. Found this and so far have been very pleased.

Comment

• 1oldkid
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 5 2011

Wow how time gets away. It's been awhile since I have worked on the car. Life just got in the way.

I have the rear seat area cleared, got some more of the sound mat and will be getting it in place this week. I will get some pics up as soon as I can. I have also been working out ideas and details on both the interior and trunk layout with a stereo design. I want to keep the stock radio in the dash and have it functional but then also have a hidden system so I can 'enjoy' music too.

Comment

• 1oldkid
                          Apprentice
                          • Oct 5 2011

Got some more sound deadener applied and took some pics of the progress.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• 1oldkid
                            Apprentice
                            • Oct 5 2011

I have seen a few questions asked about tire sizes and biggest that will fit. Here's what I'm running and they fit perfect without the skirts. I had to shave a small spot on one of the skirts to get them up under the skirt and not rub when the car 'tweaks' going up a curb.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• 1oldkid
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 5 2011

The wheels are 18x9 in the rear and 17x8 in the front. I'll have to get the tires sizes later as I am working hard right now at work, as you guys can tell.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎