X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tmac60's '60 Ford Starliner

Tim owns a '60 Ford Starliner that belonged to his brother. It has been sitting for a couple of decades, but he wants to get working on it and is looking for parts. I know of one person who certainly should be able to help you Tim, and that is Dave ~ simplyconnected. Dave has a Galaxie 500, and is an old Ford guy who has been around Fords for many years. He probably knows all the parts places for these Big Fords that there are. Either he will come along and answer this post in due time, or you can send him a Private Message (PM), and he will answer you. He is a treasure trove of information on these old classics. Unfortunately, the Forum does not list the Big Ford vendors, but I bet he knows them. One thing that I can probably tell you is that many of the parts on other Big Fords for that year, probably also fit on your Starliner, like parts from a Galaxie 500 for example. And junk yards would also be a good source. Pick N Pull places.. Good luck with your project!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
    I know of one person who certainly should be able to help you Tim, and that is Dave ~ simplyconnected. ...He probably knows all the parts places for these Big Fords that there are...
    Whoaaaa, Cowboy! Ain't nobody THAT good, but I'd love to help with restoring your labor of love. I miss the styling Ford had, like all the glass and fins on the back of those '60 Skyliners.

Body parts are a given, but engine-related parts are all over the place. Here's an example:
    If you have a Y-block, (for instance), 292's and 312's came in cars and TRUCKS from 1954 to 1964. Then, Ford sent the engine tooling two places; Argentina, and Australia. Both places have a better supply than we do in the States.

When I exhaust all the classic car suppliers, I go to truck suppliers and normally find the same parts cheaper. Case in point; the post yesterday where someone needed a starter post. I found a new one for five bucks for a truck starter (it's the exact same starter used on cars).

What parts do you need? If I can help, let me know.
    - Dave
    Last edited by simplyconnected; August 24, 2009, 11:59 PM. Reason: I can't spell for beans.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Hey Tim, I forgot to say, 'welcome'. Also, what engine is in your Starliner?

(By the way, YellowRose, thanks for the complements. Once I come down to earth, it's going to be hard to live up to all that.)
      Last edited by simplyconnected; August 25, 2009, 12:10 AM. Reason: I got fat fingers.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Tim,

I did a little searching for you for Full Sized Ford parts. Here are several. I understand that Green Sales Company stocks a lot of old parts that are hard to come by. Kanter has front end kits and parts for a lot of cars. I got my front end kit for my '59 Tbird from them. Mac's Auto Parts stocks a lot of parts for these old cars. Finally, I did a search on Hemmings on Ford parts, and came up with this big listing of all their parts dealers for these old Fords. Also, if you call or email them, you can ask them if they have a catalog. Many of these places will send you one for free.. I hope this helps you.

The place to find classic Ford car and truck parts from 1909-1979. Since 1974, we have been a leading auto parts supplier for vintage Ford parts. We stock thousands of hard to find parts for older Fords.

Replacement mechanical and interior parts for American cars 1920-1986. Classic car parts, old car parts, antique car parts, and muscle cars parts for sale!

MAC's Auto Parts - http://www.specializedwholesale.com/

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

Tim

I owned a '64 Galaxie for many, many years and performed an EXTENSIVE restoration on it.

It was in my family for over 24 years. I've owned a couple of them actually.
          I love the '60 Starliner!
          You are a lucky man!

Anyway, if I can be of help, feel free to PM me.
          I don't participate on the board anymore but I still check in from time to time because I have friends here.

Ray - At the risk of going 'off topic' and getting scolded again, I'd like to tell you I am praying for your grandaughter and your family. I hope all goes well with the surgery - be careful in Austin.
          Casey

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Casey,

Thank you for the prayers. They are very much appreciated. I should have never posted that personal information on this Forum...

Comment

• tarps3
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 21 2003

Originally posted by YellowRose
              Hi Casey,

Thank you for the prayers. They are very much appreciated. I should have never posted that personal information on this Forum...
              Well you know how I feel about that issue and how others would like this to be strictly a "technical site" without what they term "chit-chat".

I don't care about that attitude - I have a shop manual I can read for strictly technical info.

You are a friend who was facing a personal trial and wanted prayers for your grandaughter. Never apologize for things like that.

I care about people like you and the things you are going through. You're one of the true gentlemen on this site and you know how much I respect you.
              So much so that I revoked my own self-imposed exile to wish you my best.
              I'm glad to hear the surgeries went well.

NEVER apologize for expressing your concern about your loved ones...or your request for prayers.

This country has been working very hard to remove God from our lives.
              From the look of things nowadays, we've succeeded...

Thank you for your posting about Christy and allowing the rest of us to pray for her.
              Casey

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

tarps3, I agree with your every point, and I could not have said it better. The man simply asked for help seeking devine intervention, not for himself, but for his daughter. I believe Ray's appeal speaks volumes for his character and his profound love for his daughter, in a situation that is far beyond human control.

Ray, we never take credit for God's works, but I ask for, then I expect miracles. Why are so many amazed when God delivers?! Praise Him for touching Christy, the doctors, & your family.

God Bless our troups.

Originally posted by tarps3
                Well you know how I feel about that issue and how others would like this to be strictly a "technical site" without what they term "chit-chat".

I don't care about that attitude - I have a shop manual I can read for strictly technical info.

You are a friend who was facing a personal trial and wanted prayers for your grandaughter. Never apologize for things like that.

I care about people like you and the things you are going through. You're one of the true gentlemen on this site and you know how much I respect you.
                So much so that I revoked my own self-imposed exile to wish you my best.
                I'm glad to hear the surgeries went well.

NEVER apologize for expressing your concern about your loved ones...or your request for prayers.

This country has been working very hard to remove God from our lives.
                From the look of things nowadays, we've succeeded...

Thank you for your posting about Christy and allowing the rest of us to pray for her.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Casey and Dave, thank you very much for your kind words. I much appreciate them and your friendship. I posted a report up on my Interior link.

Tim, good luck with your '60 Starliner work. Don't hesitate to call on Casey or Dave. Both of them have a lot of experience with cars in that year range and probably can save you from a lot of headaches and unneeded expense! So put their knowledge to good use.

Comment

• Tmac60
                    • Aug 22 2009

Than You

Wow! I and have been poking around the internet and have not found half the info that you all just gave me! I think I am going to very happy I joined up.

Plans right now are for a 351W. At least that is the engine I have. I have a long way to go before I get to the drive train. I have a C6 transmission that seems like it may be a tight fit. Anyone know if there will be issues making it fit?

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Tim that's what car guys / gals do and also why we have some of the most knowledgeable Ford people on any site. Glad you are onboard and look forward to your progress.
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Tmac60
                        ...Plans right now are for a 351W. At least that is the engine I have. I have a long way to go before I get to the drive train. I have a C6 transmission...
                        I don't know much about the C-6 (other than it's from 1966). I have a 351W with roller cam (and EFI). It came with a AOD. You can still pick them up real cheap. The AOD is a 3-speed automatic w/overdrive, giving it four forward gears. I took advantage of the overdrive by putting a 4.3:1 gear in the rear end. This sucker flies and is perfect for expressway commuting.

You can be more conservative by using a 3.7:1, and still get lots of low-end torque and great highway mileage. I really have enjoyed the AOD for over ten years.
                        - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tmac60
                          • Aug 22 2009

Aod

The overdrive is definitely the way to go. I put a 5 speed in my '39 pick-up. Like I said, I have a while before I get to the drivetrain. I will keep my eyes open for an overdrive tranny. The Starliner has a 9", definitely not a stock one. I have not got into it far enough to know what gears it has.
                          So much to do, so little time to do it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎