No announcement yet.

430 Start Problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

430 Start Problem

My 60 T Bird has a 430 MEL. I started the car this morning and then shut it off. When I went to restart the car all I got was a spinning sound coming from the starter. It was not engaging the flywheel. I have not removed the starter yet. Any ideas what would cause it not to engage? Bad Starter Drive/ Bendix?
    Thank you
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

It sounds like your bendix is not engaging - could be nothing more than the pin out of position.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Yeah, sounds like the gear. We have what's known as 'Inertia' Starters (B9S 11002-A) Shared with FE and MEL engines, they have a very long shaft and a gear on the end. When you turn the key to start, rotating shaft motion uses the inertia of the gear to pull it into the flywheel, then the gear turns.

If dirt gets into the gear it cannot pull in, so it stays out and spins with the shaft. You may get away with a very simple and inexpensive fix.

CLICK HERE to see my Starter Motor Rebuild. Look at the last picture (#73).

I'll let the pictures explain my words as they do a much better job. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

430 Mel Starter Issues Resolved

Howard you nailed it on the head. Once I managed to remove the starter(without having to lift the engine ,
        I discovered the pin was missing. Had it replaced and all is well now. I am going to put together a step by step How-To to share with you all.

Thank you guys for replying and sharing your info.

Happy New Years Guys,

Brian
        aka eauctioneer

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 Start Problem

Hi Brian, if you put together a step by step procedure on How To write up, with or without pictures, I will put it in the TRL for all of us to find easily enough.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎