X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Phishing Attempt...

I Just received an email from an AOL email address to my AT&T email address that tells me this information referenced below... I immediately became suspicious of this email because why would someone who tells me they are on AOL and they are the Web mail system administrator, be telling an AT&T email user about this??? In the email there are a couple of links they want me to click on to "fix this problem". I did not do it. Instead, I went to Google, and entered "email saying you have exceeded your storage limit hoax" and got a lot of hits about this. Including the Hoax Slayer link below. This is someone's idea to try to get me to click on a link to infect my computer. I am not brain dead yet... If you see anything like this, be careful and don't respond or click on any links in an email like this. This is a phishing attack to try to get you to respond to it so they can take over your email account. They will ask you for your name, user id, password, and other information, "so they can reset your account information" DON'T DO IT! Here is what Hoax Slayer has to say about this phishing scam. This has been going around for awhile, but this is the first time I have ever received this email.

Sample of what I received below. I took out any clickable links so they cannot be clicked on.

Hi rayclark07@att.net

Your mailbox has exceeded the storage limit is 1 GB, which is defined by the administrator, are running at 99.8 gigabytes, you can not send or receive new messages until you re-validate your mailbox.

To renew the mailbox

click link below:

Thank you!
    Web mail system administrator!

...to opt out of receiving future mailbox limit e-mail messages or go to Email Settings and unsubscribe. This screen name cannot respond to replies.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • fcar
    Apprentice
    • Nov 13 2010

Thanks for the "heads-up"!

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray thanks for this and the Terminator is on the job
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada