X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

My (Relatively) New To Me Daily

Not a Thunderbird, but this is my latest toy.

Last fall the family was in the need of a new daily driver when my daughter's car was totaled. She was cited and it had no collision insurance (it was a $2K 2003 Protege), so the replacement ride was all out of pocket.

At the same time my coworker indicated he was selling his beloved BMW that he had owned for 14 years. It was a 1996 BMW 318ti with 239K miles, but he had just put tires on it and he only wanted $500 because it was lurching on hard acceleration. Sold. I passed my Mazda3 down to my daughter and took this on as my daily.

Pretty solid body and decent interior, especially considering the age and miles. It had some needs, but the price was right. I replaced the motor, trans and differential mounts (a separated motor mount was the source of the lurching), the oil filter housing gasket & bushing (oil consumption went from 300 mile to the quart to near zero), front brakes, lower control arms and one sunroof riser. I've got a total of about $2K in it so far.

It's a lot of fun to drive. It's not particularly quick, but the engine loves to rev and it handles great. I've put another 11K on it so far.

I decided that I wanted to experience a wide variety of cars from here on out, and this BMW has been a great start. I plan to drive it for a year or two and then try something new.

Plus, it ended up featured in Hemmings Sports and Exotic's "In Your Garage" section:

DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Doug beemers are good
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

It's been a joy to work on and it's a great, solid car for the age and miles.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎