Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan.Kauz
    • Jul 8 2015

Looking for 15" steelies

I'm having a heck of a time sourcing some 15" steelies to mount hubcaps on locally.

Do any of you fine folks have a resource that is popular among the Squarebird community where I could get a set of rims that will actually fit with the skirts on?

Note: my '63 has front discs from a '65 and i'm going to be doing more of a restomod than a restoration, hence needing to bump up to 15" and hubcaps.
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

I went with 15" steel wheels on my 64 and the shirts did not fit. Had to cut them.

Comment

• Wudro
      Experienced
      • Jan 25 2015

Not sure on the '63 but have you checked Summit?
      SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Ryan.Kauz
        I'm having a heck of a time sourcing some 15" steelies to mount hubcaps on locally.

Do any of you fine folks have a resource that is popular among the Squarebird community where I could get a set of rims that will actually fit with the skirts on?

Note: my '63 has front discs from a '65 and i'm going to be doing more of a restomod than a restoration, hence needing to bump up to 15" and hubcaps.
        I have two I ran on my 65 for a day sitting in boxes. They barely hit with the skirts on with the 255x60-15 I was running in back. They are chrome baby moons size 15x8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing. I ended up going with another set with 5.25 backspacing. I had special ordered the wide whites and had to make them fit. I would think 245 would have fit.

If you are running 65 discs up front you won't find anything aftermarket to clear the caliper in a steel wheel. At least I never found one a few years back. I ended up running a set of 15x7 with 5.25 backspacing in the front with a 1.25 spacer.

You can order the rims with custom backspacing from Unique, at least that is where I got the ones I had on the car, and the two I have sitting in boxes. They are the 03 series. http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg6.html

Tires sizes I ran were 245x60-15 up front and 255x60-15 rear. I don't know how that all will compare with your Bullet Bird. The rims ran me about $100 each with the custom backspacing.

Comment

• Ryan.Kauz
          • Jul 8 2015

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          I have two I ran on my 65 for a day sitting in boxes. They barely hit with the skirts on with the 255x60-15 I was running in back. They are chrome baby moons size 15x8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing. I ended up going with another set with 5.25 backspacing. I had special ordered the wide whites and had to make them fit. I would think 245 would have fit.

If you are running 65 discs up front you won't find anything aftermarket to clear the caliper in a steel wheel. At least I never found one a few years back. I ended up running a set of 15x7 with 5.25 backspacing in the front with a 1.25 spacer.

You can order the rims with custom backspacing from Unique, at least that is where I got the ones I had on the car, and the two I have sitting in boxes. They are the 03 series. http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg6.html

Tires sizes I ran were 245x60-15 up front and 255x60-15 rear. I don't know how that all will compare with your Bullet Bird. The rims ran me about $100 each with the custom backspacing.

Thanks for the information! I have been unsure of the backspacing until now.

Can you post a picture up with your wide whites on the car? Bet it looks fantastic!

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Ryan.Kauz
            Thanks for the information! I have been unsure of the backspacing until now.

Can you post a picture up with your wide whites on the car? Bet it looks fantastic!
            If you have any interest in the two rear wheels I have, I am willing to sell them. I have a client that rolls his semi between me and Wa weekly, so I imagine we could transport stuff without any shipping costs. I know he picked up and brought me back some old bias ply wide whites last year form Seattle.

Here is a link to my photobucket account, lots of photos there. http://s103.photobucket.com/user/jus...Bird%20Special

Here are a couple thumbnails for you, click on them, and you should see the larger photo.

Comment

• Ryan.Kauz
              • Jul 8 2015

Originally posted by RustyNCa
              If you have any interest in the two rear wheels I have, I am willing to sell them. I have a client that rolls his semi between me and Wa weekly, so I imagine we could transport stuff without any shipping costs. I know he picked up and brought me back some old bias ply wide whites last year form Seattle.

Here is a link to my photobucket account, lots of photos there. http://s103.photobucket.com/user/jus...Bird%20Special

Here are a couple thumbnails for you, click on them, and you should see the larger photo.

Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry for a slow response, health has been an issue lately.

The local tire shop says that 215/65/15 are the widest that can go in the rear with the skirts on, but that must be due to their rims being only 15x6" with a -6 offset, which doesn't compare to your custom 5.5" backspacing.

So now i'm more confused than ever on these **** wheels! Modern cars use offset, yet classics use backspacing in inches, which is an apples to oranges comparison.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎