Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuzzy
    • Sep 17 2012

engine swap for 1958 T Bird

I have a 58 Bird that already has a 390 in it. That engine now appears to need major repair. I have an opportunity to buy a 429 cu. in. engine from a later TBird. Has anyone done this type of swap? Is it do-able? what kind of modifications are necessary? Should I do the engine and trans from the newer Bird at the same time?
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I have a 460 with a C6 in my car...

If you have a power brake booster up by your master cylinder (I dont have power brakes), there will be a problem with hitting the driver's side valve cover.

Fins on the bell housing of the C6 had to be ground off in order to tuck it in farther. I also have a Hurst shifter in the console instead of column-shift.

I'm sure there was more to this project that I am not aware of; my car's previous owner installed the engine.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Motor mounts would probably need to be changed. If your current car has PS the power valve is really close to the oil pan so that might interfere. Oil pan is close to the cross member bar so my have a problem there too. The hoods on these cars really take a dive in the front - thus the need for the separate expansion tank. If the 429 has a tall carb and air cleaner you might be fighting that.

The 390 is the same block as the 352 so that was a simple swap. The original cruise-o-matic transmission would have bolted right up.

I'm sure it "could" be done - just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Good luck on it,
      Eric

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Dakota Boy

I have a 460 with a C6 in my car...
        What intake do you have on your 460? PERFORMER?

I didn't realize the sloping hood caused problems for the expansion tank clearance. Did the BIRD and FORD of this era (58/60) use the same tank? I am also assuming the 430 used a different expansion tank from the later 61/68 LINC?

As for FE intake swaps, did the EDELBROCK PERFORMER allow the needed clearance?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

I have an Edelbrock Performer intake on my car. I also have a 750cfm Holley with a 1/2" phenolic spacer. And I have a K&N air filter. I have about an inch of hood clearance to spare.

Battery is in the trunk. Coolant catch can is where the battery used to be.

I might be able to use a Performer RPM intake if I ditched the 1/2" spacer under the carb.

I also do NOT have any of the power steering equipment to worry about.

As far as motor mounts; the previous owner built some custom ones. But the cross-member isnt too far off from where the block needs to be attached.

The original radiator keeps the 460 cool.... but you need it to be clean, use some Water Wetter, and dont sit in traffic for 20 minutes. (Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan with full shroud to be installed this winter.....)

Comment

• Fuzzy
            • Sep 17 2012

Thanks Eric, for the insight, I've been getting a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks, Eric for your insight I've been getting a lot of conflictinting information, so it's good to hear from someone who's been there.
            Originally posted by DKheld
            Motor mounts would probably need to be changed. If your current car has PS the power valve is really close to the oil pan so that might interfere. Oil pan is close to the cross member bar so my have a problem there too. The hoods on these cars really take a dive in the front - thus the need for the separate expansion tank. If the 429 has a tall carb and air cleaner you might be fighting that.

The 390 is the same block as the 352 so that was a simple swap. The original cruise-o-matic transmission would have bolted right up.

I'm sure it "could" be done - just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Good luck on it,
            Eric

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

Here's a photo of how a 429/460 w/ C6 fits in a '58's engine compartment:
              Attached Files

Comment

• KULTULZ

NICE DETAILING!... especially the ignition wires routing...

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Thanks - but I haven't been there as far as engine swaps go. My Dad bought the car I have new so just really familiar with how tight things are on the bottom even though the engine compartment looks huge from the top - been wrenching in there a few times . That's my bone stock 352 when I was rebuilding the front suspension - just a pic to show how close things are.

Dakota Boy has the closest thing to what you want to do (and his does look nice).

I'm sure you could get that motor/tranny combo in there just don't think it would be a "drop in and go" type thing - there would be some engineering needed.

On the hood thing I was thinking about needing a taller radiator for cooling but looks like the original would work since it keep the 460 cool - just something you would have to play with. I have seen many non-stock engines in these cars even a 3.9 V8 out of a newer Tbird.

What ever you wind up with I hope you get to post some pics and let us follow along.

Eric

Comment

Hello everyone we're getting ready to do this swap

Is there any new information on this swap? we just pulled a 1970 460 and C-6 from a Lincoln and I'm gathering information where I can but it seems there isnt much on this swap :/
                    Oh , our's is a 1960 Thunderbird.
                    We're doing this for our dad.
                    I'd appreciate any helpful tips on this if you all have any insight, thanks in advance for your time .

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎