• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyinthermals
    Experienced
    • Apr 3 2013

Cleaning Chrome/Aluminum Interior

Hi All,

The aluminum/chrome on the trim, doors and console is scratched and rough looking. Does anyone know of any product or cleaning tip on cleaning/polishing and removing scrtaches from the metal interior without destroying it. I am seeing discoloration and a hint of mild rust. I do not want to use anything abrasive in fear of wrecking it. Thank you to all that reply.
    sigpic1999.jpg
  • Ian M Greer
    Experienced
    • Jul 29 2010

Sorry I haven't replied before now but I've been away . Interior trim parts are composed of stainless steel , actual chrome plating finish on trim directly around the front windshield , and your aluminum paneling , which could be a green , blue or silver depending on your colour interior. All your top edging ( roof interior edging trim) and the consul edge trim and trim below the aluminum panels as well as the rear inside trim around the rear window are all stainless and can be repolished to new with compound and buffing wheel . The chrome surrounding the front windshield could be a problem if it is badly pitted , chroming is your only option providing they are not rusted through . As for your aluminum panels , I've seen guys buff the finish right off the panels and respray with silver or colours to try to copy the original finish , Hope this helps somewhat Ian (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)

Comment

• flyinthermals
      Experienced
      • Apr 3 2013

Interior Finish

Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply. My interior is the aluminum silver color. I thought it was alum all the way through. If I try to buff and clean the alum, what type of silver color paint would I use to bring it back to life as original as possible? I bought some chrome/alum cleaner and will try to use that. I read tonight to use fine steel wool. The window chrome trim is not too bad and I will be able to buff out the discoloration. I just wanted to make sure I was not going to wreck it. The type of silver paint I will use to refinish this is the question.
      sigpic1999.jpg

Comment

• Ian M Greer
        Experienced
        • Jul 29 2010

Actually , I've seen where people have just steel wool or buffed up the finish to a shiny finish. or you could spray it with an argent silver basically the same paint used on the hub caps and the middle part of your rear view mirror mounted to your windshield. Ian (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎