X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Power windows 'locking up'

Well maybe somebody (Me?) has brought this up before but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Every so often one or the other side windows won't roll down, most times they will free themselves spontaneously when driving down the road.

But now and then they just refuse to move despite some thumping on the top (with my fist) or trying to pull them up.

At that point the only 100% cure has been to remove the door-card, slacken off the bolts that hold the mechanism in place so it caan move a little and then try the switch, - voiala' they work!!

So it seems like the last time they were used they jammed/wedged somehow - possibly into the top of the divider between window and 1/4 window.

Once I've freed the windows they work great, I can't get them to jam 'on demand'. But six months, a year (who knows?) one or the other will jam and this last Sunday BOTH of them jammed, dayang!.

Any ideas? (they only jam in the up position)
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would check the felt in the channels. They can come apart and get wedged between the window and the metal and cause the window to bind. If that's not it you could have a bad roller that's causing the window to stick.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• JJbird
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2 2015

I have the same problem with my left rear window. I've replaced the motor and cleaned/oiled the tracks. It will work for a while then quit. If I remember correctly the thread you are referring to the member replaced their motor and the problem went away.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Thanks guys, the motors are good, in fact I got one rebuilt.

And the channels certainly look good, likewise the rollers, all in good shape and lubed.

Both windows ONLY stick when fully up, it's like they've become wedged into the small guide at the top of the channel that runs up the division bar. (Between the main window and the 1/4 window.)

When the mounting bolts are loosened off and the pressure comes off the window it allows the window to 'drop' 1/16th of an inch and it works immediately when I work the switch.. After tightening the bolts all is good for 4 months..or 7 months...or for a year.

There is no sign of a tight spot or similar when the winows roll up and down, it's almost like the motor just can't break the window free from this wedged situation.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Try adjusting the window stops down 1/16 inch or so and see if that fixes it.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎