Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warmblood58
    • Jan 24 2017

Newly with a few questions

Hello All, an older gentleman has asked me to get his deceased wife's '64 ready to sell. Car is in California and is a one owner red convertible. Power windows are non op along with the top. I understand that there are many grounds on these cars -could someone direct me to the most important grounds and I will find the others along the way. I had to bridge solenoid to start -fired right up! But, steering column shift is very loose and sloppy so I suspect issues with NSS and possibly ignition switch. Any good stickies on power windows, etc along with power top? Thank you!

Cheers,

James
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

These convertibles can seem to be overwhelming at times, but as an owner of a 63SR the 2 most important things to be aware of:

1- only one thing happens at a time, then a limit is made before going on to the next step.

2- N E V E R !!!! attempt to adjust, modify or improve the top operating system with out the top operating manual!!! Many things are spelled out and pictured, but just trying to adjust without knowing what is going on will cause more problems.

A fully charged battery is essential and also the top will not work until the NSS is making contact properly in Park. Some helpful info may be here on this form's library as well.

Good luck & wish you were closer.

J

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by warmblood58
      But, steering column shift is very loose and sloppy so I suspect issues with NSS and possibly ignition switch.
      The neutral safety switch is at the bottom of the steering column and can not contribute to sloppiness. The ignition switch has nothing to do with the column shifter.

The column shift lever is soft "pot metal" and acts on a hard steel shift tube. Guess which part wears? New shifter arms are readily available and easy to install if you use the following "trick".

Cut a pine 2x2 the right length, wedge it against the floor and use it to support the steering column at the shift lever, right under the roll pin. Use the correct size drift to remove the roll pin.

Comment

• warmblood58
        • Jan 24 2017

Thanks, great advice! Non app top/NSS makes perfect sense. So if I can get car started by wiggling shift column thus activating NSS, should I expect to see top operate? I was going to not make any adjustment to top rather just clean contacts everywhere -thanks!

Comment

• warmblood58
          • Jan 24 2017

Originally posted by Yadkin
          The neutral safety switch is at the bottom of the steering column and can not contribute to sloppiness. The ignition switch has nothing to do with the column shifter.

The column shift lever is soft "pot metal" and acts on a hard steel shift tube. Guess which part wears? New shifter arms are readily available and easy to install if you use the following "trick".

Cut a pine 2x2 the right length, wedge it against the floor and use it to support the steering column at the shift lever, right under the roll pin. Use the correct size drift to remove the roll pin.

Thanks! But NSS switches do indeed wear - seems like a pretty common problem with these cars, yes?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As Yadkin mentioned it's not the NSS that causes the sloppiness or not staying in PARK. It's a combination of the shift lever and/or the detent plate. Once the shift lever is able to lock in PARK then you can adjust the NSS so it starts and the top mechanism works. Until then you will have to move the shift lever back and forth until you find the sweet spot where it will start and the top will operate.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• warmblood58
              • Jan 24 2017

Thanks, so replacing shift lever should eliminate sloppiness and create a positive park lock feel? Good source for parts for these cars both new and aftermarket? Thanks!

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Newly with a few questions

James, parts are pretty readily available. Some of them are located in your area there on the West Coast. Tbird HQs, the Bird Nest in Oregon, and others. You will find them all listed in the Advertisements Forum below this. Look for it, call or email them and ask for their free catalogs. You will want to get a shop manual for that year Flairbird if you do not have one. Also a top manual if you can find one, if you need. I do not think we have one for the Flairbird in our Techncial Resource Library (TRL), but you might look. The TRL link is always part of my signature and that of John's ~ jopizz. Good luck!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by warmblood58
                  Thanks! But NSS switches do indeed wear - seems like a pretty common problem with these cars, yes?
                  I think you are talking about the "no start" problem that is typically solved by lifting the shift lever upwards. Best to replace the shift lever first, because that is the likely problem.

John mentioned the detent plate but I bought a new one for the complete rebuild on my well-abused 80k mile car and the old one was cut better than the China-made reproduction and had no wear. So I re-used it.

Ditto with the China-made reproduction of my NSS. It broke almost immediately, so I cleaned up my old one, lubed, and it works perfectly.

Adjustment of your NSS is done by two small sheet metal screws in slotted holes. Overtighten the screws and they will strip, so I use a hose clamp around the assembly and steering column to better lock it in place.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎