X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torpedo
    Apprentice
    • Jun 4 2011

1964 Thunderbird door seals

Hello all, just bought some proper new door seals for my car, installed one side today, door won't close all the way needs a little push. Has anyone had this problem and I do I rectify this. Thanks
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've had that problem with just about every new door seal that I've installed. It will get better eventually. The only thing you can do right now is to find out where it's binding and shave it down a little.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• torpedo
      Apprentice
      • Jun 4 2011

Hi John Thanks for the reply, its just what I thought. When you want the right answers for your car, come to this site. Going to let it work and shape its way on its own. Thank you

Comment

• MLZ
        • Jan 26 2014

Coat the gasket with dialect grease. Rub it in, then wipe off the excess. I've done this for years. Don't try to cut into the gaskets.
        1965 Thunderbird Conv. Frost Turquoise

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by torpedo
          Hello all, just bought some proper new door seals for my car, installed one side today, door won't close all the way needs a little push. Has anyone had this problem and I do I rectify this. Thanks
          I tried John's recommendation for months and my door glass still stuck out. Sorry John, no offense.

There is a rib on the outside that the rear quarter glass frame slides perfectly right behind. That same rib, however, doesn't work too well with the glass frame, so I ended up cutting it off with a new razor blade.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Yadkin
            I tried John's recommendation for months and my door glass still stuck out. Sorry John, no offense.

There is a rib on the outside that the rear quarter glass frame slides perfectly right behind. That same rib, however, doesn't work too well with the glass frame, so I ended up cutting it off with a new razor blade.
            No offense taken. It's been a few years since I did the weatherstripping on a 64-66 Thunderbird. I don't remember having that particular issue. There are a couple of different manufacturers. I've had issues recently with the Dennis Carpenter weatherstripping being much thicker than the originals and binding at the front door post.

John

Comment

• torpedo
              Apprentice
              • Jun 4 2011

Door seals

Originally posted by MLZ
              Coat the gasket with dialect grease. Rub it in, then wipe off the excess. I've done this for years. Don't try to cut into the gaskets.
              Are you referring to dielectric grease? and which brand should I use, I live in Canada. Thanks

Comment

• MLZ
                • Jan 26 2014

Yes. I always use Permatex. I use it on all my cars to keep the rubber supple.
                1965 Thunderbird Conv. Frost Turquoise

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
                  No offense taken. It's been a few years since I did the weatherstripping on a 64-66 Thunderbird. I don't remember having that particular issue. There are a couple of different manufacturers. I've had issues recently with the Dennis Carpenter weatherstripping being much thicker than the originals and binding at the front door post.

John
                  Yeah, I tried "letting it set", didn't try any grease or solvents to effectively "melt" the troublesome rib.

I'd like to see a picture of an OE seal in this area. I'm betting that it's not a constant cross section, since it seals three different ways. From the rear to the front:

At the rear 1/4. the rib on the outside is on the outside of the rising glass, so it works perfectly.

In the middle, the rib works great if you are inside the car and raise the window. However if you have the window raised and you close the door, the rib is too big to fold out of the way, so it tilts the glass out and prevents a tight seal at the corners (it also looks terrible).

At the front 1/4, it seals by crushing, and the rib is too big.

My solution was to cut the rib off, starting at the front edge of the rear 1/4, all the way to the front.

Comment

• torpedo
                    Apprentice
                    • Jun 4 2011

Door Seal problem solved

I would like to Thank you all for your input and advice. After installing the seals within several days the seals worked out perfectly didn't do a thing to them, door closes without a problem. I am very impressed. I would like to pass along to others if they have this problem I purchased mine on Ebay from a seller "ponderosamustangco". Hope this helps

Thank You

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Glad it all worked out. Thanks for the info on where you purchased them. I've never heard of that company before.

John

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎