X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Tappen
    Experienced
    • May 5 2017

electrical puzzle

hi everyone, maybe someone can help me out. my 64 bird has a gremlin, meaning everything electrical will operate even with the key is off or on or in acc. mode. such as heater motor,window washer pump, power windows. where should I look first to try to solve this problem? I've checked as best I could with elec. books I bought. thanks for any and all help, larry.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Everything goes through the ignition switch so check there first. If that's ok then check the connector block on the driver side firewall where the wires go through. That's been known to cause multiple problems.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I'm with John. You have a bad key switch.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Tappen
        Experienced
        • May 5 2017

electrical puzzle

gentlemen, I checked the wire plug and ignition switch as john suggested, can't find anything wrong visual wrong. maybe the switch is bad inturnaly? switch seems to be fine starting the car, I don't want to buy one if not needed. thanks guys, larry.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Larry Tappen
          gentlemen, I checked the wire plug and ignition switch as john suggested, can't find anything wrong visual wrong. maybe the switch is bad inturnaly? switch seems to be fine starting the car, I don't want to buy one if not needed. thanks guys, larry.
          Check it using an ohmmeter going from the BAT terminal to the other terminals with the key in the off position. If there's continuity to any of the other terminals then it's shorted internally. If it tests ok then it's in the wiring. Are you sure you don't have something wired wrong at the fuse box. Try removing the blk-green wire that's on the ring terminal of the ignition switch and see if it fixes it.

John
          Last edited by jopizz; September 30, 2017, 07:20 PM.
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎