X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

rear main seal engine

I thing I have some spotting where the engine connects to the transmission. What is exactly involved in changing the seal. Plus whats the best additive to add to the engine oil to stop it. Plus with the addictive could it mess up any good seals. Plus how does this stuff work. Larry
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

I've never had any additives stop a rear main seal leak. If you want to know what's involved in changing it look in the Technical Resource Library. There's instructions on how to replace it. If it's only a couple of drops I wouldn't worry about it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

Is this the same engine you had replaced a year or two ago? It shouldn't be leaking already unless you have driven it 10's of thousands of miles. Perhaps it was defective or installed incorrectly? Did you engine rebuilder give any warranty?

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

rear seal

Well Joe the guy didn't do a good job on the intake gasket by not applying any RTV to the corners. So he didn't do a good job with the seal either. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

Rear seal leaks a few drops.

Thanks for replying to me. If I do try for the some stop leak is that going to mess up the good gaskets elsewhere John.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Ok so, after driving around on this engine for years, you develop a trans leak, then you blame the engine rebuilder?

Hmmmm... how does that work, I mean, Ford only offered a 12 month warranty on the car when it was factory fresh!

Maybe you broke something on the transmission and now it's leaking, I don't know...

I suggest you bring it to a good mechanic to have the trans thoroughly inspected and repaired. Joe is right, good mechanics usually offer a warranty on their work. In any event, the car should not leak. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I think he's referring to the rear main seal in the motor not the trans. At least I hope so.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                Experienced
                • Feb 3 2009

rear main seal

You are correct John. The engine wasn't the problem I purchased that from John Draxler. Short block. The big problem was from my wife relative who assembled the intake to the engine didn't use any RTV at all. This is what the Ford mechanic said to me. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

You have me confused. Is leaking from underneath the car or the back of the intake manifold at the top. If it's the intake manifold it's a fairly big job just because of how heavy it is. I've done lots of them and you either need two people to lift it off or risk a hernia doing it yourself. An engine hoist certainly helps.

John

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

If I do try for the some stop leak is that going to mess up the good gaskets elsewhere John.
                    I never thought any of the "mechanic in a can" products were worth the money or a substitute for quality parts and first class workmanship. Yes I do use a couple of products, Stabul, and Marvel Mystery Oil, ZDDP, and that is about it. Products that would swell the rope type of oil seals MAY work, I don't know, but I really doubt anything would affect the materials used now. If a product softens or swells a rubber type of seal it can't do other parts (in my opinion - which may be wrong) like valve seals any good .

Larry - when the engine was rebuilt, what type of main seals were used?

Comment

• Larry Jones
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 3 2009

main seals

Mr. John Draxler built me short block Joe. I would have to look for his paper work which he supplied me. I did look into sta built engine seal sealant. But further discussions with the representative for the Company indicated to me it would damage the cork gaskets for the valve cover gaskets. So Iam not going that route. Iam considering Lucas Engine oil stop leak. The rep indicated it wouldn't harm the cork gaskets . But all these products appear too swell the seals. He also indicated is less aggressive than some of the other products out there. There is no gurantee with there product either. There is always repercussions to everything. Larry PS Like John indicated its only a few drops at a time after driving it. Maybe I can live with that.

Comment

• Larry Jones
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                        Larry,

You have me confused. Is leaking from underneath the car or the back of the intake manifold at the top. If it's the intake manifold it's a fairly big job just because of how heavy it is. I've done lots of them and you either need two people to lift it off or risk a hernia doing it yourself. An engine hoist certainly helps.

John
                        Hi John. I had this problem last year which was leaking down on the heads. Took it twice to the Ford garage finally fixed it on the second try. It was still under the 12 months warranty. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 3 2009

rear seal location

AS I said in my last thread I had the thunderbird ranch build me a new short block. I don't no where the main rear seal goes into. The engine itself or is it the seal between the engine and the transmission. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The rear main seal goes around the crankshaft in the block.

John

Comment

• Larry Jones
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 3 2009

rear main

Thank you for responding to my last thread. If you get a new short block rebuilt does the builder insert a new main rear seal. Thank you Roger

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎