Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BOOMERBIRD
    • Jun 23 2011

Replacing the 352 fe with a 390 fe

Has anyone replaced their original 352 with a 390 and if so how did the R&R go and are you happy with the end product? im in the process of finding either a crate 390 or a long block and hope to get this done soon. im just so tired of replacing all the old parts on the 352 that has 81k miles on it. I would prefer to pull it and rebuild the 352 but its much more cash to do so.

any tricks learned would help.
  • redstangbob
    Experienced
    • Feb 18 2011

The 390 and 352 are both FE's so no problem with the fit. Depending on what year block the 390 is, you may have 4 motor mount bolts per side or only 2 like your 352 but no issues there either. You need to keep track of starter & flywheel, don't use a 65 and up starter with your old flywheel. If you upgrade to the newer style starter, use the new style flywheel and the engine plate. I'm sure I've left a bunch of things out, but the swap should go without problems. Good luck, Bob C

Comment

• nocontrol
      • Feb 10 2011

390 swap

Just breaking in reworked 390 in my 58 and so far so good. I'm running dual quads on a ford intake so there was some linkage modification but every thing else bolted up. I'm using a toploader behind it for added excitement. There's no subsistute for cubes!

Comment

• FINSRIN
        Experienced
        • Aug 7 2010

I agree with the replies. Am replacing early FE in 59 Galaxie with 66 Thunderbird 390. Sure you will like the results.
        Bill

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by BOOMERBIRD
          Has anyone replaced their original 352 with a 390 and if so how did the R&R go and are you happy with the end product? im in the process of finding either a crate 390 or a long block and hope to get this done soon. im just so tired of replacing all the old parts on the 352 that has 81k miles on it. I would prefer to pull it and rebuild the 352 but its much more cash to do so.

any tricks learned would help.
          I replaced the 352 with a 390 a while back, it went pretty easy for me. Granted I just pulled the whole thing and dropped in the complete 390 I bought off clist, the only thing I had to change was the starter to a newer design.

Comment

• junker nutz
            • Feb 19 2014

Speaking of starters, will a "new" starter with a exturnal bendix not the long one I just pulled off that goes in beyond the flywheel fit on the 352 fit. It was a pain in the *** getting that starter out.

Originally posted by RustyNCa
            I replaced the 352 with a 390 a while back, it went pretty easy for me. Granted I just pulled the whole thing and dropped in the complete 390 I bought off clist, the only thing I had to change was the starter to a newer design.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

No. The new style starter requires a different flywheel if that's what you're asking.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• junker nutz
                • Feb 19 2014

OK thank you.

Originally posted by jopizz
                No. The new style starter requires a different flywheel if that's what you're asking.

John

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎