X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mit634
    • Jul 31 2010

Fuel Pump Lubrication

Hi Guys,
    About a week ago I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 430 while out on the road. Just yesterday I removed the replacement pump and noticed that the mechanical arm was still completely oil free, just as when I installed it.

I was just wondering how these pumps are supposed to get lubricated ?

Thanks
    Tim
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Tim, every time I change a fuel pump, I cover the moving parts with lots of STP mixed with motor oil. I don't want it like honey, but the oil needs to 'hang-on' until engine oil washes it away.

Some parts get minimal oil from a 'slinger' or just from oil vapors. Timing chains (and gears) are notorious for being oil-starved. That's why they stretch so soon. If the timing chain doesn't get much oil, you can imagine the fuel pump eccentric doesn't either. But, these components tend to last a very long time, so it's hard to argue with success; they must get enough lubrication from somewhere.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

The 430 is unique in that the pump is driven by a push rod. The only oil that will come close to the pivot shaft is a little slung from the push rod.

There is a return oil drain that feeds the cam gear and is splashed over the timing set from there. The fuel pump itself needs very little lube as it is a closed unit. The FE fuel pump will be covered in oil due to it's mounting position.

Comment

• mit634
        • Jul 31 2010

That's great. Thanks so much for the advice.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
          Experienced
          • Feb 14 2009

I have an electric fuel pump on my 1960 t-bird. I was so anxious to get it started, I drove it with the stock fuel pump mount open, no pump or block-off plate. The front of the engine and left inner fender were covered with oil! If I remember right, the tip of the pushrod is some kind of graffite impregnated material.I din't remember which end rubs against the ecentric, probably the graffite end.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

fuel pump pushrod

the junk smal block chefs use a pushrod for the fuel pump too.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎