X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ss396t6
    Apprentice
    • Oct 21 2014

Original 1957 Thunderbird owners manual versus reprints

Do the reissues have Reprint printed somewhere? If not how can one tell the difference between originals and reprints?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Original 1957 Thunderbird owners manual versus reprints

Hi Scott, I was looking for an original one for you, and saw that they can be very expensive, in the $200 range. I was wondering the same thing and also if one would have points taken off in judging if one had a reprint on display with the car. Perhaps someone like Joe Johnston can tell us.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

As far as I know and have seen in my limited assortment of manuals & literature, all reproductions will be clearly noted - usually inside the front cover or on the back cover. CTCI has reprinted most of the manuals and literature (with the approval of Ford Motor Co) and they are available at a very reasonable cost. Anyone printing/selling and not making this notation would probably be subject to copyright or licensing violations.

I would suggest buying ALL the reproduction manuals for any collector car that are available for your car and studying the wealth of information. Upgrading your library to original documents can be done as they become available and you would know the subtle differences and where to look for a reproduction notation, or not. This knowledge alone could save you a bunch of money! Personally, I am not "into" displaying or looking at someone's literary collection at car shows and unfortunately expensive original documents can "disappear" during an event, but an assortment on display at a mixed breed car show does look impressive to many.
      Last edited by Joe Johnston; March 1, 2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

I quickly grabbed my well worn garage copies. Compare the inside of the covers. The transmission manual appears to be original, the Electrical manual is obviously not an original Ford publication because it is a compilation of all 3 years and states inside it was reproduced by CTCI.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Joe I would tend to agree with you about displaying " original or reproduced " manuals at a S&S / car show. Many a time someone has asked me a particular question about my bird and I have simply gone into my travel bag and grabbed the manual. I would be hard pressed to understand WHY someone would lose points on judging
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• paul274854
            Apprentice
            • Mar 10 2011

CTCI Concours judging does not look at the owners manual.
            Midland Park, NJ
            56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎