X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Turn indicators freezing

Hey everyone, got another problem here, my turn indicators on my 66, work fine until I turn my headlights on, then the right one freezes and stays on, if I turn something else on like the heater fan or put the brakes on the left one freezes on too, if I rev. the motor it helps, now, the strange thing is, I got a new voltage regulator, I've had my alternator tested and it fine, my alternator belt is tight. I have taken the plug off of the turn indicator relay and cleaned the connections, I am out of ideas, anybody have a clue to what can get my indicators to work properly? Thanks!
  • Wyldie
    Apprentice
    • Dec 22 2016

Sounds like an earth issue to me, have checked all your earth connections?

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
      ...my turn indicators on my 66, work fine until I turn my headlights on, then the right one freezes and stays on, if I turn something else on like the heater fan or put the brakes on the left one freezes on too, if I rev. the motor it helps...
      Let's go to the wiring diagram because that's the FIRST place you should look for common wires.

What is common to your:
      • Headlights (wire #12)
      • Right Turn Signal Indicator Light (wire #362)
      • Heater Fan
      • Brake Lights
      • Left Turn Signal Indicator Light (wire #363)

Looks to me like many of those wires go through the same plug. It's on the bottom and in the middle of the page.

Pull that plug apart and look at the contacts for anything burned or green. While you have it apart, see if those faults go away. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

I can see the plug that I should clean in the diagram, but where is it in the car?

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

I noticed a short wire that comes out of the fender on the inside of the engine compartment near the turn indicators that look like ground wires, l cleaned those. I heard that the base of the turn indicators are considered a ground, mine are solidly attached to the fenders, should I remove those and clean the base of them? Thanks

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
            I can see the plug that I should clean in the diagram, but where is it in the car?
            Seriously?
            Pick a wire. Let's say, a headlight wire. Follow it to the firewall and there you go.

Look at the diagram... it shows the indicator light (on each side) has one wire going to a bullet connector and the lamp holder is grounded. Clean them if you think water got inside. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbirdmike63
              Experienced
              • May 4 2017

I cleaned the bullet connectors, and what I thought was the grounds to each indicator. I will follow the wires, I think the the connection is under the dash near the steering column. I don't mean to come off ignorant, electrical work is new to me, I am learning, I think any question is better then no question and wondering if I am doing it right, or wasting alot of time. Thanks for your responses.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

So, the lamp holder itself is the ground, there is no ground wire coming from it? I need to get under the fender unbolt it from the fender clean both surfaces and reattach?

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

So, the lamp holder itself is the ground, there is no ground wire coming from it? I need to get under the fender unbolt it from the fender clean both surfaces and reattach?
                  not for testing. Use a length of wire with alligator clips on each end. Clip one end on the ground terminal of the battery, and clip the other on the exterior of the non working bulb's socket. Should the new ground fix the problem, THEN you have to remove and clean everything. In all probability, the ground connection at this light is probably weak and should be cleaned anyhow. Good grounds are very important, but many only focus on the power supply wiring and over look poor or weak grounding connections.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                    Experienced
                    • May 4 2017

Thanks, when you say non working bulbs socket do you the the indicator housing?

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                      Experienced
                      • May 4 2017

Ok, I grounded the right indicator with a ground wire to the negative battery post, no change still freezes up when I turn things on in the car. I think I found the plug that the indicators go into under th dash, of course I can't get it apart, there are two tabs on each side of the plug do I squeeze those as I pull? Is there a trick to getting these apart, or is it just brute strength?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Mike, I'm trying to teach you something, here. You're from Detroit so I know you understand the assembly line, even if it's a little.

Open the hood and imagine yourself as the guy on the line. You get exactly 60-seconds before the next car is upon you. That means, every job must be done quickly and it must be easy.

You don't need to understand the schematic but it helps a lot. I suggested you follow a headlight wire to the connector. I never suggested going under the dash but you did. Back up and follow my direction.

All this makes sense if you think about it. Wires under the dash are protected against rain and weather. Wires under the hood may encounter water frequently because we're in Michigan. Which would you think will fail first?

Let's get back to the guy on the line. He needs to connect every electrical device in the front of the car in one minute. Now, look at the wiring harnesses under the hood and follow a headlight wire back. Where are the connectors? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                          Experienced
                          • May 4 2017

Ok, I unplugged every connector I could find in the engine compartment, from the headlights to the firewall, and the problem persists, they work fine till I put the car in drive, the idle drops, then they stop working, it seems like there's not enough power going to everything. I don't know what else to do, I read the schematic, unless it's a connector under the dash, or possibly the indicator relay, Im going to try to get that out to adjust it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

What voltage do you have at idle in gear? It sounds like you're dropping below 12 volts. Did you have the same problem before changing out the voltage regulator.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                              Experienced
                              • May 4 2017

Yes I did, I haven't checked for voltage in gear, I was at 14.85 volts at idle in park, and it rose up to 15.39 when I reved it. I will check that tomorrow, if it is dropping below 12 volts while in gear what would cause that?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎