X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stubbie
    Experienced
    • Jul 7 2011

Air Conditioning unit

I removed my air conditioning unit yesterday in my 64 Tbird without removing the dash. So for anyone looking at doing this it is possible to do.
  • torpedo
    Apprentice
    • Jun 4 2011

Originally posted by stubbie
    I removed my air conditioning unit yesterday in my 64 Tbird without removing the dash. So for anyone looking at doing this it is possible to do.
    Hi , I hope you or someone could help. Recently I purchased an A/C thermostatic switch control unit as my original was faulty. It turns out it was the vacuum. As I was removing the original I found it very hard to remove the capillary, at one point it stopped so I did not pull any further. For fear of any damage what I did was detach the switch from the vacuum and replace. My question is can the capillary be removed and how difficult is it. I have a 64 T-bird
    Thanks you help is appreciated

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've never tried it but according to the shop manual it sounds like it can be done.

John
      Attached Files
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• torpedo
        Apprentice
        • Jun 4 2011

A/C Switch

Originally posted by jopizz
        I've never tried it but according to the shop manual it sounds like it can be done.

John
        Thanks John, at this point I left the original switch but changed the vacuum unit, a little work but at least I left things the way they were. Took apart the original Vacuum found it had a hairline crack. Hope this all works .
        Thanks

Comment

• torpedo
          Apprentice
          • Jun 4 2011

Originally posted by torpedo
          Hi , I hope you or someone could help. Recently I purchased an A/C thermostatic switch control unit as my original was faulty. It turns out it was the vacuum. As I was removing the original I found it very hard to remove the capillary, at one point it stopped so I did not pull any further. For fear of any damage what I did was detach the switch from the vacuum and replace. My question is can the capillary be removed and how difficult is it. I have a 64 T-bird
          Thanks you help is appreciated
          Further to this can someone please indicate which wire is attached to which terminal. Looking at the thermostatic switch it looks like the black wire goes on the bottom (vacuum) end and the brown goes on the top (capillary) end of the switch. I don't want to blow the switch if they are placed on the wrong terminals. There is no indication which wire goes to which terminal. If someone could help that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's the wiring diagram. #182 is the brown wire and #347 is the black wire.

John
            Attached Files
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

John's diagram shows the switch as nothing more than positive power going through a set of contacts that open and close, which turns the compressor's electromagnet on and off. Keep these wires away from ground or you will blow a fuse. It's not important that the switch bracket be grounded either.

The path is complete at the electromagnet because it has one side already going to ground, internally.

There are several posts regarding capillary bulbs and how they can be repaired on the Internet. Maybe YouTube has some as well. It happens that some 'mechanical' gauges need a longer capillary tube or some get cut by mistake. HERE is one such repair site. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• torpedo
                Apprentice
                • Jun 4 2011

A/C Thermostatic switch

Thanks Gents

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢