X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

road draft tube

How does the draft tube remove/install on te 430? Can it be done while in the car?

Bart, you've just had your engine apart, did you see how the tube is held in place? If yours is still apart, could you post pics of the tube and the rear of the block with the plate removed? Thanks.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Ken:

That 5 or 6 inch road draft tube at the bottom is just a tight press fit into the block at the neck of the tube.

There is no tender way to get it out except with a rag wrapped around it, and use a plastic hammer, or a channel lock pliers to wiggle it from side to side while you pull down on it. Mine got dinged a little, but not that bad actually.

If you need a photo, I'll take one on Monday.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

Thanks Bart. The tube on my car is missing and I'm trying to locate one. Talked with some Lincoln guys but haven't found one. One guy mentioned it's not unusual for them to fall out of the cars on the highway, maybe I'll see one along the highway at the next Lincoln meet.
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

When I go down Monday, I'll take a photo and give you the dimensions. Unless you need it for judging, you can make one if you can find the correct diameter thin wall tube.

If you need it for judging, then at least the photo and dimensions will help you.

I'm having trouble being able to get on the ftp server -- it no longer accepts my username and password. Hope to get that corrected soon and post the photo.
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430
        Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Or you could convert ur car to a PCV system now.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Hawkrod
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2005

I missed this thread but since it has come back up I will add that to remove a tube like this without damage can be tough but it can be done. First find something that has the same outer diameter as the tubes inner diameter such as a piece if pipe, a broom or shovel handle etc... next clean the tube really well with a degreaser. insert your dowel inside and use a strap wrench on the outside and start twisting and rocking. The dowel inside will usually keep damage to a minimum even if you end up using a pipe wrench or channel locks. Hawkrod

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰