X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barrysmith
    Experienced
    • Aug 28 2008

352 to 430 MEL Engine swap

Will a 1963 lincoln 430 MEL Engine exchange with my 1959 352 with out any modifications.
    The 430 is a Edsel E475.
    Thanks
  • Hawkrod
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2005

No it will not interchange and no it is not an Edsel 475 either. the Edsel 475 was only made in 1958 and a 1963 lINCOLN 430 is a different engine and would not actually even bolt into the Edsel! Hawkrod

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

You would need to fab up the motor mount brackets for a TRUE 430cid to fit.

Here is a thread where I posted some pics of what these mounts look like: http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=4590
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by tbird430

You would need to fab up the motor mount brackets for a TRUE 430cid to fit.
        Are these photos of an FE BIRD converted to a 430?

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

No these are the factory originals from my 1960.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• barrysmith
            Experienced
            • Aug 28 2008

Thanks for everyones help, looks like I will stay wtih the 352.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
              Experienced
              • Feb 14 2009

the bellhousing and flywheel are interchangable, so the trans will bolt up. motor mounts, and a dozen other changes. just depends how bad you want a 430.just my 2 cents.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 63-4drpost

...the bellhousing and flywheel are interchangable, so the trans will bolt up. motor mounts, and a dozen other changes. just depends how bad you want a 430.just my 2 cents.
                The 1963 430 has a different bell pattern than the 58/60, so he would have to use a TWIN-TURBO (HX).

The 59/ up MEL will accept FE mounts, so there would be no problem there. The 59/60 J-BIRD kept the front mount system for some reason whereas the B9ME block casting had both mounting positions.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 14 2009

bellhousing

I stand corrected. I was thinking the bellhousing was not changed until the 462 came out. sorry for the miss-information. we raced a 57 ford fairlane with a 58 mercury 430. we used the 352 bellhousing, flywheel and clutch. i think i had to drill holes and tap them to fit the Ford motor mounts(there were bosses already there, just not drilled and tapped). Maybe I should keep my mouth shut, always getting myself in trouble or making a fool of myself. (you would think I would be used to it by now)Henry

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

You can make an FE = in power to a 430 pretty easily. I'm sure a healthy 410 or 428 would scoot as fast you you would want to scoot in a 50 yr old Thunderbird. And still *look* totally (or close to) original.

For that matter my 390 gets it pretty good. I drove it today. Nailed it at about 25 mph getting on the freeway. She dropped into low and took off like a scalded cat. I LOVE that 4 bbl sound "BA-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" !!

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

John look at you go, you old " cruiser " you Every once in awhile it's great to stomp on the pedal,unlease the horsepower and remind ourselves what these birds can do
                      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                      Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• KULTULZ

I was CAROUSING WITH MY BROWSER this morning looking for forgotten MEL FACTOIDS and came across this post-

Originally posted by barrysmith

Will a 1963 lincoln 430 MEL Engine exchange with my 1959 352 with out any modifications.

The 430 is a Edsel E475.

Thanks
                        The 61/65 430 was redesigned (minor block changes) to fit within the confines of the new 61 LINC. The origional 58/60 MEL block had the FE bell pattern.

In 1961, FORD changed the bell pattern (modified FE) and the only trans that would attach was the LINC LX.

If one wanted to use a later 430 (63/65 had the new HP 4V) one would have to use the LX (TWIN-TURBO). The later 1966/68 462 again had the bell pattern modified whereas it would take either the LX or the new LINC specific C6.

The engine will sit on the 352 frame mounts by turning around the FE insulators.

The E-475 was a 410CI engine that saw service in the MERC based 1958 EDSEL. It was originally intended for the 1957 MERC but production problems delayed installation and it went straight to the EDSEL.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 63-4drpost

I stand corrected. I was thinking the bellhousing was not changed until the 462 came out. sorry for the miss-information. we raced a 57 ford fairlane with a 58 mercury 430. we used the 352 bellhousing, flywheel and clutch.

i think i had to drill holes and tap them to fit the Ford motor mounts(there were bosses already there, just not drilled and tapped).

Henry
                          No big deal Henry. There was (and still is) a lot of disinformation regarding this engine series.

Just a note-

The 430 was redesigned in the 1961 model run to fit the new LINC chassis explicitly as MEL had been disbanded (along with the demise of EDSEL) and LINC-MERC went back into FORD. The 1961 MERC was now powered by a six (223), a Y-BLOCK 292) and the FE (352-390).

The bell mounting pattern was changed (from previous FE pattern) to be able to move the starter motor location further up to clear the new LINC engine compartment. The engine mount positions should have been the same. One would just have to use the period correct LINC specific HX trans to make the transition. The intro in 1963 of the redesigned 430 4V made for a hot engine.

The 1958 block(s) had no bosses for side mount engine mounts. They were cast in on the 1959 model run.

The E-475 was the 1958 EDSEL 410 CI MEL.

If the 59/60 BIRD had the 352 frame mount tabs, the 430 will go to those. I have no idea why FORD kept the front mount design on the BIRD while it was eliminated on all other MEL car lines in 1959.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎