X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Belt Tensioner....

Tom ~ scumdog, sent me this information and pix regarding a method he used to tighten his power steering belt on his Flairbird. Here is what he said.

"A while ago on Squarebirds ( from memory!) I mentioned a device I made up to enable me to tighten my power-steering belt. It was made from stuff I had lying around. One end has a stud ( bolt would have done) with two nuts welded together end-to-end, those nuts screwed onto the end of the stud/bolt far enough for all the thread on one nut to be on the stud/bolt, this leaves the other nut free to be screwed onto the thread of the stud that protrudes from the cast power-steering pump mounting. (As per picture of device itself)
    The other bolt pushes into and fits snugly into the hole in the centre of shaft on the power-steering pump shaft. (I'm not sure if this hole is threaded, if so the appropriate bolt would be better than my push-fit metric bolt!) Then it's just a matter of screwing the turn-buckle the right way to push on the power-steering pump. (Ah, remembering to have previously slackened off the adjusting bolt that goes through the slot in pump mounting bracket of course!)

Ray, Could you post the pics and info on Squarebirds for me please? - it works on my '66 but I cannot confirm it would work on other models of Thunderbirds. Regards, Tom."

As Tom said, it might work on Squarebirds, Bulletbirds and other Tbirds. Here are the 3 pix he sent me.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

Guess I'm wondering why you need the belt that tight?

I've only needed a turnbuckle twice. Once was a 3G Ford alt
    on a V-belt trying to run a plow pump solenoid and the other
    was a modified sag pump, running an add on 1.75" ram for
    hydro steer with 43" competition compound tires (@ 6-8 PSI
    and both diffs locked up).

Would have loved to convert to serp, but no easy kit (or one
    that is not over 1000 dollars) exists for 400 fords.
    59-430-HT

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by OX1
      Guess I'm wondering why you need the belt that tight?

s.
      It"s not really 'that tight' it's just I found it awkward and tricky to keep the belt tight AND tighten the mounting/adjustment-slot bolts.
      (There's still 1/2" - 3/4" play up and down in the mid-section.)
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by scumdog
        It"s not really 'that tight' it's just I found it awkward and tricky to keep the belt tight AND tighten the mounting/adjustment-slot bolts.
        (There's still 1/2" - 3/4" play up and down in the mid-section.)
        Oh, OK, just curious
        59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎