X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkmech
    Apprentice
    • Feb 6 2014

Convertible top latch

On a 65 conv. Can I purchase the spring in the top latch or must I get a new latch assy. Also This car has the 390 in it. If I wanted to remove transmission. is it possible to remove trans and not engine. Or is it easier to remove engine and trans together
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't think the spring is available but I wouldn't buy a new latch just for the spring. You can probably go to a home center store and get a spring that will do the job. The spring doesn't do much except keep the handle up when the top is unlatched.

Yes, you can remove the transmission by itself.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Without going into full detail the transmission can be removed by first unbolting the driveshaft at the rear end then sliding it backwards out of the transmission tailshaft. Unbolt the front bellhousing at the engine. Disconnect linkages, speedo cable. Support the transmission with a jack then remove its cross member.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Convertible Top Issues

We have a new source for Tbird convertible parts that I just recently added to the Advertisements Forum. Go to it and look up Hydro-E-Lectric Convertible Parts... I did not see the part listed but call them and tell them what you need and ask them. As I recall, they sell the top latch, so they might also have the spring. Ask to speak to Erika, the owner and also tell her you are a member of Squarebirds.org. They give us a 10% discount! BTW, I think I mentioned this before, but I used to live in Camp Hill, PA as a teenager. I joined the Air Force from there, and went to Sampson AFB (long closed now) for Basic Training, on the 5 Finger Lakes in NY, in the dead of Winter! I thought I was gonna freeze to death!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bkmech
          Apprentice
          • Feb 6 2014

Yep you mentioned that you lived in camp hill before but thanks again. Thanks for all the reply's I'm on several other forums. This is the only one that gets quick responses very helpful people I appreciate it Great forum

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎