Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vince
    • Nov 19 2015

Alternator

I have an alternator I want to install in my 57 Ranchero. My Ranchero has a 292 Y block. I have a one wire Alternator and from what I have seen it is pretty cut and dry. The only question I have is how do I incorporate the relay What we call a horn relay into the line. I have installed an under dash volt meter and plain on eliminating the Gen Lite. The alternator has an internal regulator. any help on this mater would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vince
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Vince,

The yellow wire that goes from the old voltage regulator to the horn relay is hot all the time because it splits off the heavy yellow wire that goes to the starter solenoid. You can either run a new wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the relay or just keep the yellow wire connected to the solenoid and either tape up the end that connects to the voltage regulator or keep the regulator in place with all the wires connected. I usually keep the regulator in place to give a stock appearance but I gut it so there's no connections inside.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Alternator

Vince sent me a pic of his nice looking '57 Ranchero. Here is what he said.

"This is my 57 Ranchero. All original with a 292 Y-Block. Would not hesitate to drive it anywhere."
      Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Vince
        I have an alternator I want to install in my 57 Ranchero. My Ranchero has a 292 Y block. I have a one wire Alternator and from what I have seen it is pretty cut and dry. The only question I have is how do I incorporate the relay What we call a horn relay into the line. I have installed an under dash volt meter and plain on eliminating the Gen Lite. The alternator has an internal regulator. any help on this mater would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vince
        If you use a modern alt from just about any car you can keep your GEN light working properly AND your alternator will charge at idle speeds. This is important if you ever go to an electric fan.

Go to your local bone yard and pick an alternator from a car with an electric fan. Just about all cars and trucks now have electric fans and all modern alternators have internal regulators.

Wiring is easy on a modern alt. One wire goes to your battery, one wire goes to your GEN light and one wire is ground. That's it. The GEN light serves as a 'sense' wire to tell your alt that the key is turned on. A one-wire alt has no way of knowing if the key is on so it depends on high rpms. Not good in a parade or cruise. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎