X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Bill~FINSRIN Has A New Toy!

Bill emailed me this evening to tell me that he has a new "toy" to play with, though it is not a Tbird. Here is what he had to say and some pix of what it looks like.

"Just bought a 1959 Lincoln Continental, Mark IV. 4dr breezeway (that slanted rear window that rolls down!) roof. Is half or more restored. Might finish it as an XL with bucket seats and console. Attached pictures are of same year-style-color. Though not of our Lincoln. Is in shop right now to fix gas tank leak. It appears to have 1960 2V 430 engine. New trans. New brakes. Lotz of rechrome done. 14" replaced with 15" wheels. No radio, heater, horns. Dash instrument panel in sad shape. Probably get modern guages. Squarebird or Bulletbird instrument panel might fit. Be doing a lot of measuring when it gets home. Original steering column and wheel have to go.

Well written 1958-60 review is here:

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...rs_guide1.html

If you read the 2009 review of the '58-'60 Lincoln Continental, you will find something interesting about it and our '58 Squarebird! Like the '58, the '58 Lincoln Continental was scheduled to be air bagged also! But, like the '58 Squarebird, that project was scrapped for the Lincoln also. This is a very good write up on the 58-'60 Lincoln Continentals. There are additional pix of the car in this write up, though I think they are of a '60 Mark V. In wikipedia, I read where these were the biggest and heaviest Lincolns ever made, if I got that right. Here are the pix, though, as Bill said, not actually his car, but at least his looks just like them.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here is an update that Bill sent me on the work being done on his '59 Lincoln, and three pix.

"Rust was MUCH worse than expected. Replacing/repairing floor pans as we go. In process of rebuilding under doors rocker structure to be far stronger than new. A 2x4 steel beam with 0.120 walls is being welded every 2 to 3 inches to rocker structure. At first was thinking 2x3 beams. Found it takes 2x4 just fine. Last picture shows some of new beam in rocker structure. Over half way done with floor & rocker work.
    Starting to size things up for A/C, sound system, instruments.
    Gobs more work to do on this one than I thought - dang it anyway !
    Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
      ...Like the '58 (Squarebird), the '58 Lincoln Continental was scheduled to be air bagged also! But, like the '58 Squarebird, that project was scrapped for the Lincoln also...
      Edsel was to have air bags, too. They were ALL scrapped. The air system simply wasn't reliable but it was cheaper than using coil springs.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• FINSRIN
        Experienced
        • Aug 7 2010

Ray - Thanks for posting pictures.
        Really should login here more often. Been swamped with stuff to do. Built a hobby building for models last summer to now. Finally done, is nice but don't wanna do it again. Also got 59 Cadillac near finished last summer.
        Hired help with expertise to move Lincoln along as quickly as practical. Like it done enough to drive by mid summer.
        With more time in it, think we keep original steering column & wheel. Old workhorse engine runs well and so far oil leaks are minor. Not worth chasing, add oil as needed. Probably open front to check condition of timing set. Is long at 19ft 11in. Two inches longer than 59 Cadillac. One inch narrower. Sure don't look it.
        Bill

Comment

• FINSRIN
          Experienced
          • Aug 7 2010

Unibody reinforcement and floor rebuild is done. Has built in jacking points. Is multi times stiffer/stronger than original. Under coating and painting of new metal is done.
          Front & rear seats got reupholstered. Power seat workings got cleaned and lubed.
          Making switch to the improved 60 Lincoln dash. Is a bolt in replacement.
          Motor and trans pulled out for leak fixing. Otherwise they look good.
          Radiator in shop for rebuild.
          Figure it can use same electric wiper motor as we put in 60 Tbird. Need to check.
          Hopefully cruising by mid summer.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
            Experienced
            • May 28 2012

I was watching the Mecun Kansas auction yesterday when a 60 convertible sold for under $20000. It looked like it could use a restoration...
            Yellow98Cobra
            1960 Thunderbird HT
            Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
            There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
            http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Bill sent me some more pix of the work being down on his '59 Lincoln! Here is what he had to say.

"New floor pan and unibody side beams 2x4 .120 wall are in. New metal painted.
              Is in suspension shop for new bushings, idler arm, shocks, brake lines, etc.....
              Decided to go with stock seats and fresh fabric, which is done.
              Pictures are first day in suspension shop."

Here are the pix.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

I love these Lincolns
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• FINSRIN
                  Experienced
                  • Aug 7 2010

Thanks Dakota Boy.
                  Me too or would not have bought it.
                  With body ills fixed and suspension up to spec. Can then get to building-finishing in ways I chose to. Mostly stock with a few variations.

The apparently 1960 2V 430 can stay since it is running so well.
                  A cruiser, not a hot rod. Have a Corvette and Shelby 500 to hot rod with. After more scrutiny, the 60 Lincoln dash with after market 3 3/8 instruments looks like the way to go. Getting the five power windows (each door & rear) in working order will take some doing. Window channels too. At least all glass is good.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Bill love those Lincolns in triple black colour. Really makes the chrome " pop " and look majestic. I have a buddy here in Calgary that has a triple black 70 that is stunning
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• FINSRIN
                      Experienced
                      • Aug 7 2010

Is out of suspension shop.
                      Next is 430 & trans installation.
                      Did get a new fuel pump compatible with ethanol blend fuels.
                      Made arrangements for electrical shop to wire stuff back together, including 1960 dash.
                      Stay on top of it and might be cruising by August !

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎