X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djweaz
    Experienced
    • Apr 14 2016

1959 Thunderbird brake booster

This might be a dumb question. I have heard that the 59 Thunderbird Master cylinder is the only one not made anymore. Someone was talking about the power booster being on the inside of the firewall. I have been looking and have seen some where it might be like that with only the resovoir sitting there. It could be that it has manual brakes as well. Mine has a power booster from an 86 Toyota in it when I got it. So I am curious

Rob

Another week or so and the 59 is back from paint. I can't wait. Found a front bumper on EBay that was within 250 miles for $250 so I have to drive to south east Indiana to pick it up. This week. My bumper is perfect front and back but the chrome is worn out bad. Going to be next year before I can afford to have them done or do the core swap and cash. Chrome didn't look as bad in white as it will with the color change to Fire engine red. I will be replacing old chrome in pairs little by little.
    Rob
    1959 Thunderbird J-Code
    Tbird registry
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The '59 Thunderbird master cylinder is readily available as long as you don't have the under hood booster. If you have the under dash Kelsey Hayes booster or manual brakes you can get them almost anywhere.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Djweaz
      ...Mine has a power booster from an 86 Toyota in it when I got it. So I am curious

Rob

Another week or so and the 59 is back from paint. I can't wait. Found a front bumper on EBay that was within 250 miles for $250 so I have to drive to south east Indiana to pick it up. This week. My bumper is perfect front and back but the chrome is worn out bad. Going to be next year before I can afford to have them done or do the core swap and cash. Chrome didn't look as bad in white as it will with the color change to Fire engine red. I will be replacing old chrome in pairs little by little.
      Rob, do you intend on keeping drum brakes? Will you keep the Toyota booster?

We have a plating company here in Detroit, next door to the Ford Highland Park Plant, called Micro Platers Sales. They strip, straighten and re-chrome steel bumpers using the OEM method which is nickel, then chrome. Check out these prices:-- CLICK HERE When you get there, click on the button at the bottom of their page, then download the price sheet. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        We have a plating company here in Detroit, next door to the Ford Highland Park Plant, called Micro Platers Sales. They strip, straighten and re-chrome steel bumpers using the OEM method which is nickel, then chrome. Check out these prices:-- CLICK HERE When you get there, click on the button at the bottom of their page, then download the price sheet. - Dave
        So $1816 for full front and rear, not including shipping.
        Glad mine have been done already.

When you add up this and new interior costs, it's close
        to half what I paid for the whole car.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• Djweaz
          Experienced
          • Apr 14 2016

Eventually I plan on using the wilwood disc kit. It helped in choosing the size of my rims and tires. I read that will wood needs at least 17 inch rims so I knew I couldn't go with 15 inch cragar ss rims.

My booster is under hood I don't know if it was under hood or dash originally. But eventually I want to take it out so I don't have to look at the plug dangling.

Every time I try to load up pictures it has errors in size or whatever else. I was going to upload a picture but I guess not lol
          Rob
          1959 Thunderbird J-Code
          Tbird registry

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎