X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Tappen
    Experienced
    • May 5 2017

interior wiring

well guys another problem has came up. the wiring in my 64 bird has problems. first power window console gives a shock and sparks thought it was grounding on the tunnel- put electrical tape down that did not help. I don't have the window relay, po taped all three wires together, rear windows work fine just the front (both door windows spark), turn signals work with the key off, I don't think that's right. also don't have any courtesy lights, dash lights. no power for cigar lighter, ashtray light, glove box light. under the glove box there is a yellow wire with three female conections this is hot all the time. I have all the books, all the bulbs are good, fuses are good. got to just love cleaning up other (P O) hack jobs. thanks for letting me rant and also thanks for any and all help, larry
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Larry, what is your question?
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Tappen
      Experienced
      • May 5 2017

wiring

my question is what is causing all of this. I think the door windows switches are bad as they are sloppy. as stated what is the yellow wire black plug with three female connections laying loose on top of tunnel under console for. as far as the interior and dash lights, where do I start to fix this problem. thanks, larry

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

Do you have any dash/interior lights at all. If none of them are working then check the fuse. If that is good then it's most likely the headlight switch rheostat that is the problem. As for the yellow wires do you have power seats and if so do they work. Power seats were optional but the wiring is always there regardless. As for the sparking it's most likely from the window switches or wiring. The wiring insulation can break from age and spark if it's close to any metal. I would take the switch plate out and inspect all the wiring and tape up any bare wires. If the switches are worn you will have to replace them.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Larry Tappen
          my question is what is causing all of this. I think the door windows switches are bad as they are sloppy. as stated what is the yellow wire black plug with three female connections laying loose on top of tunnel under console for. as far as the interior and dash lights, where do I start to fix this problem. thanks, larry
          Larry, switches and most devices are available for your car through many of our vendors. It's normal that after fifty years of operation, some things tend to wear out.

To start fixing electrical problems, you need a wiring diagram like the one in our TRL. Use sound troubleshooting techniques and all of your senses. I normally start at a device that does NOT work, and start proving wires to be good or bad, working my way toward the power source. Do not get distracted by information like, 'well, last time it was...' Follow the wiring just as it is in the wiring diagrams. If you find wiring has been changed, know that the original wiring worked correctly, so you may want to change it back to 'original'.

I assume you know Ford's color scheme used in all the diagrams. I also assume you have a Shop Manual. We are here to answer any questions that the manuals are vague about.

So, pick a fault and start there. Troubleshoot it from the end to the beginning. Don't be afraid to ask if you have questions. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Tappen
            Experienced
            • May 5 2017

wiring

well gentleman, I do have all the books,shop,electrical, body,the light switch is new, do not have power seats. I did tape the back side of the window switches,still sparks through the top of the switch. and also all interior lights (DOOR COURTESY LTS,QUARTERPanel lts,map lts) not working, all fuses and bulbs are good, thanks larry

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Ok, so where do you want to start? Pick a circuit and let's troubleshoot it. Start with the worst problem, or one you want to get fixed first.

You will need a 12-volt test light or a volt meter and two jumper wires with alligator clips on the ends. I like to extend the test light wires so I can see the light while working inside the trunk or dash or where ever you need to see it. Speaker wire works well.

Many times, when working on one problem and you find the fault, fixing it will straighten out other things that didn't work. Don't get sidetracked or overwhelmed by all the things that are broken. Fix them one at a time.

Your car is typical of many classic cars. Eventually, if problems aren't addressed and fixed, the car simply goes back to the Earth. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Tappen
                Experienced
                • May 5 2017

wiring

well today I found no 12 volts at fuse box. i'm going to pull fuse panel from wall to check electricity coming from battery to fuse panel. I did find some of the wires on fuse panel circuit breakers wrong, I change them to match color code in the shop man. just gotta love it, thanks larry

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Larry Tappen
                  well today I found no 12 volts at fuse box. i'm going to pull fuse panel from wall to check electricity coming from battery to fuse panel. I did find some of the wires on fuse panel circuit breakers wrong, I change them to match color code in the shop man. just gotta love it, thanks larry
                  If you have no 12V at the fuse box then how do your windows and other items work? Is it just one fuse? Before you remove the fuse box I would double check your troubleshooting methods. Remember those wires are brittle after all these years. You could be doing more harm than good by messing with it.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

I am going to jump in here ONE time and step on some toes!

Larry - you have to follow the advice given to diagnose a problem, and you have several with this wiring mess. You THINK the switches are bad, so you taped them. Did not accomplish anything as they should not make visible sparks and the problem not fixed. You want to pull the fuse box because you have no power. Again won't accomplish anything. You need to check the wires supplying power to the box and learn why. As said before, start at the end where the problem is and follow to the beginning. Follow the diagrams you have. If something is cobbled up, just undo it, study the diagrams and fix it right. Ford engineers (although debatable at times) knew what they were doing and made millions of cars with out sparks flying out of switches or cobbled up wiring. Undo the crap and follow the original plan and the advice given.

Best of luck undoing the mistakes of others.

Comment

• Larry Tappen
                      Experienced
                      • May 5 2017

wiring

as I stated, before I moved wires to correct terminals on circuit breakers I had power to turn signals ,tail lights, headlights, heater motor(fan),starter motor. now after redoing circuit breakers nothing works but headlights. I did notice the wire block that goes through the firewall on passenger side looks to be little melted, very hard to disconnect. so I guess I answered my own question about power at fuse panel if head lts work, but why nothing else. checked across fuses with voltage light and no light comes on. further investigation I know is a must, thanks to all, larry

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Dec 23 2008

Larry - private message sent. J

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡