No announcement yet.

need help with intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with intake manifold

I bought a 63 fairlane that was set up as a show car. It had a Weiand tunnel ram and dual carbs. The owner said it had a 289 in it. The setup was not very drivable so I sold the tunnel ram set and bought a Ford 4 barrel intake..part number RF-E3ZE-9425-F..If I decoded the intake right it is off of an 83 Mustang. The problem is that the corners of the intake dont not mate with the heads. The holes line up but the corners are not supported. You can see the threads of the bolts between the intake and the heads. And as you can guess it leaks bad just by filling up the antifreeze. This is my first Ford and I thought that all small bock intake were interchangeable. Any info will help...Thanks...I do have pictures of the intake available if anyone would like to see them...Thanks again

RE: need help with intake manifold

Could be the heads and block have been decked for the tunnel ram to fit. If shaved too much you may need other heads.You sure its a 289 and not a 351 as a tunnel ram is pretty intense for a 289 unless it has some serious internal modifications.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by waycoolfairlane

I bought a 63 fairlane that was set up as a show car. It had a Weiand tunnel ram and dual carbs. The owner said it had a 289 in it. The setup was not very drivable so I sold the tunnel ram set and bought a Ford 4 barrel intake..part number RF-E3ZE-9425-F..If I decoded the intake right it is off of an 83 Mustang. The problem is that the corners of the intake dont not mate with the heads. The holes line up but the corners are not supported. You can see the threads of the bolts between the intake and the heads. And as you can guess it leaks bad just by filling up the antifreeze.
      I am sure you have it figured out by now but the later 5.0L tech has water passages modified to allow for reverse flow coolant (serpentine driven WP).

When using a 5.0L intake on an early head, you must use the 5.0L intake gasket.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Previous Post Correction

I am not 100% sure of my above statement-

I came across this in my notes;

If my memory serves me right you need the gasket for the year of the heads. On the newer heads ( 1976 and up ) the coolant ports were bigger so when you try and match the "5.0" gaskets to the old heads the ports are too big and you have the leakage problem.
        Regardless, the port mis-match is the problem and either the earlier or later intake gasket must be used.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎