Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sshoureas
    • Jul 24 2017

Suspension Height Question

Hello All - hoping someone can help me out with an issue regarding suspension height on my 1965 Thunderbird hardtop with AC. I just bought the car and the previous owner had the front end and springs replaced from parts from one of the well known Tbird parts houses. The rear end was very low though and I suspected it needed rear leaf springs. I bought the complete kit from the same parts house and had them installed but made very little difference and the "old parts" looked fairly new-ish, still with stickers on them. The shop thinks the rear isnt so much low as the front end is too high. It does look high but according to the receipts, the last owner did order the correct springs (hardtop with AC). I'm stumped as to where to go with this next before I order new coil springs and get the same thing I have now. Any ideas for me? I can take measurements on mine is someone has a 1965 hardtop that sits correctly. Thanks!
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steven, perhaps a simple way to raise that rear end would be to put adjustable air shocks on the rear... My '59 has them on it, which raises the rear end more and levels it out... Let's see what else others say about this.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• sshoureas
      • Jul 24 2017

Ray - thanks for the reply. I have considered that though the front end seems a little too high. At the local shop they wondered if someone put heavy duty coils on the front although the receipt I have from the previous owner seems to show they should be the standard coils.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Although the receipt shows they are standard shocks, it would certainly not be the first time that someone sent the wrong parts to a customer... I will be interested in hearing what jopizz and others have to say about this problem...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Thunderbirds of that era all have a slight rake to them where they are lower in the back. As Ray mentioned if you want more height in the rear you can install air shocks or invert the spring shackles.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

I've also heard that new springs and leafs have a break in period, especially the leafs, it could take up to a year before they settle, I may be wrong, but I have heard that.

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
              Experienced
              • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by sshoureas
              Hello All - hoping someone can help me out with an issue regarding suspension height on my 1965 Thunderbird hardtop with AC. I just bought the car and the previous owner had the front end and springs replaced from parts from one of the well known Tbird parts houses. The rear end was very low though and I suspected it needed rear leaf springs. I bought the complete kit from the same parts house and had them installed but made very little difference and the "old parts" looked fairly new-ish, still with stickers on them. The shop thinks the rear isnt so much low as the front end is too high. It does look high but according to the receipts, the last owner did order the correct springs (hardtop with AC). I'm stumped as to where to go with this next before I order new coil springs and get the same thing I have now. Any ideas for me? I can take measurements on mine is someone has a 1965 hardtop that sits correctly. Thanks!
              For your interest, From Ford product information for 1965 models,

Riding height for 1965 Ford Thunderbird , Wheel house opening dimensions ,

Front, hardtop - 27 21/32"
              Rear, hardtop - 22 23/32"

Comment

• sshoureas
                • Jul 24 2017

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
                For your interest, From Ford product information for 1965 models,

Riding height for 1965 Ford Thunderbird , Wheel house opening dimensions ,

Front, hardtop - 27 21/32"
                Rear, hardtop - 22 23/32"
                Thanks! This is exactly the info I needed. It seems my car is sitting about 1-3/4" too high in the front and about 1/2" too high in the rear. I imagine if I drop the front, the rear will be exactly where it needs to be. I did buy the springs from one of the big Thunderbird parts houses and did call their spring supplier who assures me its unlikely I have the wrong springs or they are made wrong but I can't figure out why its sitting so high in the front? I could order different springs from a different supplier but cutting mine by one inch might be the best option?

Comment

• stubbie
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 7 2011

I'd try inverting your shackles first. It worked for me.

Comment

• sshoureas
                    • Jul 24 2017

Inverting the shackles will raise the rear a bit which sounds interesting since these cars sit so low in the rear but it won't do anything for the for the front will it? It looks like the front is sitting sky high now ..

Comment

• sshoureas
                      • Jul 24 2017

Well, I finally got around to buying the OTC spring compressor and tackling this job. With an abundance of caution pulling the first spring and a bit more confidence tackling the second spring it took me about a day in total though I could do it again in about a half day. It was my experience that less disassembly is required than stated in the Ford Service manual. You don not have to unbolt the upper a-arms, front brake lines, sway bar, etc.. All that is needed is remove the wheels of course, shocks, the braces from the shock towers to the firewall, compress the springs and pop them out. Once disassembled, I couldn't find anything wrong and the new springs were the correct height when uncompressed - 19 - 1/4". So,, I cut 3/4" from each which lowered the car at the front wheel wells by 1 - 1/2" and at the front bumper brought the nose down by slightly more than 2 - 1/2". I didn't measure the rear but bringing the nose down also served to raise the rear and now the car sits completely flat. Very pleased and wish I would have done this a year ago. Now, on to the in-op horn.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎