Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • opaque
    • Apr 21 2010

Airbagging Question

Hey guys, this is purely for curiosity and conversation's sake, how difficult would it be to bag a '59 bird? My friend runs a fabricator shop that specializes in airbag suspension and we were just talking about it last night out of interest, thought I might as the squarebird brain trust.

bags on rear leafs isn't the best set-up, how difficult is it to swap in the coil set up from a '58? Has many people done this to their squares yet?

Visit our Blog HERE!
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

My '58 had the coil spring setup removed and standard leaf springs installed (by the previous owner); so I suppose a person with some serious skills could do the opposite of that.

The '58 design was one year only, and I think there was a reason for that.... it supposedly didnt work all that great. But that's only what I've heard, not what I can personally vouch for.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

I think the 58's were going to come with air suspension from the factory.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Airbagging Question

Yes, that is what I have read also. Ford intended to put air suspension on the '58's, but abandoned the idea.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• protourbird
          Experienced
          • Apr 29 2008

Call Air Ride Technologies now known as Ridetech in Jasper, Ind 812-481-4704 ask for Tony Bicknell. He & I had worked out a system for my 60 using their air springs. My budget just hasn't agreed with the job yet but they make the absolute best products.
          sigpic
          Jim

protourbird

Comment

• opaque
            • Apr 21 2010

Originally posted by protourbird
            Call Air Ride Technologies now known as Ridetech in Jasper, Ind 812-481-4704 ask for Tony Bicknell. He & I had worked out a system for my 60 using their air springs. My budget just hasn't agreed with the job yet but they make the absolute best products.
            I live at the bottom of the world, a call to Indiana sure would set me back. Would you care to elaborate on the system or did they do most of the design?

Thanks, Vinny

Visit our Blog HERE!

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Airbagging Question

Hi Vinny!

Since it is a really longgg distance call for you, I Googled their information for you. Here is their website, which might be a help to you. Also their email address so you can communicate with them that way. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Email: sales@ridetech.com

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• c4clewis
                Experienced
                • Aug 18 2010

I have just finished having airride installed on my '59. It took quite a bit of engineering for the front air bags to fit in the narrow spring pockets up front. The shop ended up having to slightly modify the lower control arm to accept the custom shockwave mounts. Ridetech should have these ready to go now for the squarebirds (thanks to performance car craft for their work).
                As for the rear, you can go with the airoverleaf from ridetech. I opted for a 4-link conversion (purest, insert hatemail here) in the rear. If you want to see pictures you can go to http://www.performancecarcraft.com and scroll down to "Matt and Sarah's T-bird" for pictures on the work.

I am having the shop do the airride conversion and paint and body. Then I'm taking it home for the rest... I just realized I'm not a good enough painter (yet) to get the job I want on it.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Airbagging Question

Thanks, Matt & Sarah, for this fantastic information! I am glad to see someone do an air ride conversion like this on a Squarebird. The pictures are great! I have taken the liberty of adding this thread, the link to Performance Car Craft and Ride Tech to the Technical Resource Library. You will find it all under the Suspension heading. That should be one super ride when you get her back on the road again. It looks like they did a masterful job of the conversion. Ride Tech certainly has the parts to do this with, though they have not done a Squarebird conversion in their shop yet. They seemed pleased to hear about this one. Here is the actual link to the pictures of the conversion. http://performancecarcraft.smugmug.c...13627939_22Ztu
                  Last edited by YellowRose; November 4, 2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• 619Square
                    Apprentice
                    • Aug 20 2009

Hey c4... this is amazing! Exactly what I want to do to mine!!! Huge props to you for making it work!!!

Question!?!?!? Is there any chance I can get picture copies of the work being done? It would really help me work things out!

If not... no worries!

Cheers,
                    Justin

PS keep us informed of the progress!!!
                    --------------------------------
                    1960 Thunderbird
                    Been in my family since 1961
                    Portland, OR

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Airbagging Question

Justin, if you look at my post below yours, the link is already posted there. Clicking on it will let you go through every one of the 113 pictures posted. You can view it as a slide show and see bigger pictures of each. I have also put this information on the Technical Resource Library web page.

Comment

• 619Square
                        Apprentice
                        • Aug 20 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
                        Justin, if you look at my post below yours, the link is already posted there. Clicking on it will let you go through every one of the 113 pictures posted. You can view it as a slide show and see bigger pictures of each. I have also put this information on the Technical Resource Library web page.
                        Hello,

I did see the link... but I can't save the pictures from the site. My project will take a bit of time... I am on a 7 year plan! (before I am 40 she will be done)!!! lol... I have two kids under 5... so my $ & lots of time goes to them!

I plan on doing most of the work myself... so I am looking for LOTS of reference!

I am not sure that the pictures on the link provided will be there when I am ready to do the work. So I have been collecting info & pictures along the way.

Long story I know.... but just wanted to let you know there is a method to my madness.... so I hope!
                        --------------------------------
                        1960 Thunderbird
                        Been in my family since 1961
                        Portland, OR

Comment

Suspension ...

Originally posted by c4clewis
                          I have just finished having airride installed on my '59. It took quite a bit of engineering for the front air bags to fit in the narrow spring pockets up front. The shop ended up having to slightly modify the lower control arm to accept the custom shockwave mounts. Ridetech should have these ready to go now for the squarebirds (thanks to performance car craft for their work).
                          As for the rear, you can go with the airoverleaf from ridetech. I opted for a 4-link conversion (purest, insert hatemail here) in the rear. If you want to see pictures you can go to http://www.performancecarcraft.com and scroll down to "Matt and Sarah's T-bird" for pictures on the work.

I am having the shop do the airride conversion and paint and body. Then I'm taking it home for the rest... I just realized I'm not a good enough painter (yet) to get the job I want on it.
                          That looks like a nice setup. Are you planning on using a panhard bar or watts's link for lateral stability? Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                            ...Are you planning on using a panhard bar or watts's link for lateral stability? Mike
                            I see a parnhard rod in pictures #45 & #59, but they never show it installed. They MUST use one behind the banjo or that setup won't last a week.

I am more concerned about the front end. The whole front structure weight bears down on four skinny grade-5 bolts. I'd feel more comfy if that welded plate had a 'step' and was bolted to the top of the 'A' arm (like how the spring was on top, pushing down). I have never seen a stamped suspension arm welded. Ever. - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• c4clewis
                              Experienced
                              • Aug 18 2010

The panhard bar is hard to see in the pictures and I wondered the same thing until I saw it in person. It actually runs from the passenger side, underside of the axle, and runs across to the drivers side rail (near where the parallel arms are set). This is usually more of a racing setup, and if not setup correctly can result in the axle moving significantly side-to-side during cycling. Greg (the owner) assured me he has done this setup many times and has the geometry worked out (although ridetech doesn't like the setup). The upside is that it leaves plenty of room over the top of the axle to run the exhaust.

As for the front A arm setup. I hadn't thought about the stamped arms being welded. However, while not a metalurgist or professional welder, I can't really say I have a problem with it. If you look at picture 110, it looks as though the machined piece that was welded to the A-arm allows the bottom of the airwave to sit on top of it, so that it is what the airwave actually sits on. The 2 bolts are just for the rebound of the shock (the pull up). I'll have to check on that when I visit next week though!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎