Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jpeterjp
    • Jul 18 2016

Got a rumble in my rear end

So I took my 59 Bird out for some fresh fuel and a little drive and about 20 min into the drive I heard a sound like stones in the rear hub caps as I decelerated.
    This got progressively worse as the noise got much louder and I thought it was then a flat tire (it wasn't) and as I continued to get it home the sound became horribly worse and the rear end seemed to shake a bit.
    I would describe it as a scraping, grinding sound but only when I would let off on the gas. When I stepped on the gas it would go away.
    I have never experienced this with any vehicle.
    Any thoughts anyone?
    Tranny? Brakes? ???
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

At a guess, possibly one of the brake springs has broken & you have a loose shoe, or one of the shoe pads has come off. Also first check the universal joints as they can make a scraping type noise if they are very bad.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Possibly the pinion nut has backed off or there's an issue with the pinion bearing.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

I'm leanin towards rear brakes also. Not that many horrid noises with bearings and gears go away on or off the throttle.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• Jpeterjp
          • Jul 18 2016

My noisy rear end...

Thanks ALL for the suggestions. I recently did some brake work on all 4's, so it may be the brakes is the issue.
          Who knows? maybe I left a wrench or screwdriver, or pack of camels in there! We've all seen those x-rays of surgical tools left behind in someone's gut....

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the small brake shoe springs popped off. That's been known to happen if you don't turn the cap correctly.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by OX1
              I'm leanin towards rear brakes also. Not that many horrid noises with bearings and gears go away on or off the throttle.
              The part that puzzles me is the noise only happens if he is off the gas??
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• OX1
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by scumdog
                The part that puzzles me is the noise only happens if he is off the gas??
                Could be many different things. I've had horrendous
                sounding "has to be drivetrain" noises that ended up
                being an exh hitting frame, either on or off the gas.
                59-430-HT

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Hopefully it's just a brake spring. I could be a wheel bearing though. I've had two fail on me, one front and one rear. Both different cars, I count myself lucky both times.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I have an idea. Since you really don't want to continue driving the car while the problem exists, why not throw a jack stand under the frame and pull the wheel off.

Take some pictures from different angles while you move things around.

You may not need to pull the drums if you find the lug nuts were loose.

Regardless, lets see your brake job. It was recently done so the area will still be clean. While you're at it, let's see the other side as well. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎