X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Carpet Screws

I read Squarebird forum carpet installation instruction and my assembly manual which show carpeting installed with screws.

My carpeting is installed with screws that poke out the bottom of the floor. Now, the gentleman I bought this car from owns an auto upholstery shop in Littleton, CO and replaced the original carpet at his shop, I presume.

Are screws through the floor correct?

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes. The front and rear carpets are held in place by phillips head screws and not adhesive. They are long enough so they extend through the floor and are visible from underneath.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

John, so this must have been a common practice in those days? I've never seen this before and thought it was a down and dirty method for replacing carpet. I once owned a 1966 Chevelle and even though it was the closest thing to a rolling tin tub, I don't recall any screws through the floor.

Well, I can sleep better at night.

Dean

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

A few screws were used at least through 63. I removed a couple to check the originality of my carpeting.

Little Birds used a lot of NAILS that had a thin black lacquer on them and probably made more than one guy swear when working on the underside.

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

Right. I thought these screws are dangerous to anyone working under the car who doesn't remember these are there. Mine too, and the car's entire underside, is coated with a thick undercoating. I don't know if that was the optional rust proofing or a dealer or aftermarket spray-on.

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 14 2015

When I redid the carpeting last year, I left out the screws. I filled the original holes with silicone to seal them and then Dynamatted the whole thing. The carpet moved a bit, just in the floor areas in the front so I used a few pieces of 2 sided tape. I didn't figure I needed anything else coming through the floor, there's already the seat bolts and the new bolts holding the seat belts!!
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
            Red Leather Interior!
            www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
            Thunderbird Registry #61266
            http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

Scott said:
              When I redid the carpeting last year, I left out the screws.
              I can see why you wouldn't want holes in the floor just on the principle. When I moved the driver's seat to the optional holes, I found a hole without a screw that I put a screw into.

Dean

Comment

• Yellowbird
                Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

I left the screws out when i installed new carpet in my '58. I've had no issues with carpet movement.
                sigpic

Comment

• Deanj
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Nov 26 2015

You won't find much on the subject of automotive carpeting history. It's a multi-piece carpet rather than the molded pre-formed carpet we have now. The cars I owned before the molded carpeting were at least 2 sheets per side unlike the Thunderbird.

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Deanj
                    You won't find much on the subject of automotive carpeting history. It's a multi-piece carpet rather than the molded pre-formed carpet we have now. The cars I owned before the molded carpeting were at least 2 sheets per side unlike the Thunderbird.

Dean
                    I could not believe how many pieces the carpet kit came in. It wasn't until I read the installation guide in the TRL that I came to understand they are all like that in Squarebirds. I have never seen anything close. That said it went in very easy once the interior is gutted. I had steering wheel, dash and brake pedal that was about it.
                    Scott
                    South Delta, BC, Canada
                    Red Leather Interior!

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

I bought my carpet kit many years ago and finally installed the 8 piece set. After doing some research, there are now companies out there that make a "1 piece" preformed carpet for our cars. A friend bought one, but hasn't installed it yet, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. It seems like a nice option. We'll see?
                      Nyles

Comment

• sidewalkman
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                        I bought my carpet kit many years ago and finally installed the 8 piece set. After doing some research, there are now companies out there that make a "1 piece" preformed carpet for our cars. A friend bought one, but hasn't installed it yet, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. It seems like a nice option. We'll see?
                        Nyles
                        If you're just building a cool car and not worried about originality it would be an awesome option. My car is a driver, I want to keep the appearance overall pretty period correct. but I would have opted for a 1 piece carpet kit had I have known the option was out there!
                        Scott
                        South Delta, BC, Canada
                        Red Leather Interior!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢