Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seal between valley cover and Dist. bolt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

Seal between valley cover and Dist. bolt?

More on my 430 "refresh" --- After taking off the distributor, I see that one of the many places the valley cover was leaking is around the stud for the distibutor hold-down clamp. Should there be some sort of grommet or seal there? I found nothing in the engine gasket set that looked promising. The parts books and shop manual were not helpful either.

Anyone with a 430 shed some light on this?

See link for pic:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

John
    430 Tbird HT
    registry #1590
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

I just rebuilt my 430, and there was no rubber grommet for that stud in my kit either.

Here's what I did, and it worked fine --

Just find a piece of rubber tubing, like wiper tubing, that fits very snug on that stud. Then use a razor blade to cut a 3/32 slice of that tubing. Put some black RTV at the base of the stud, and slide the tubing down on the stud to the base. Wipe the excess, and let it dry overnight. Worked for me, and no leak.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

That was good thinking Bart!!

I just used black RTV silicon, and let is set overnight before installing dist & hold down clamp. I figured the silicon would act as a large "clump" of rubber anyways, and the dist. hold down clamp really doesn't put alot of pressure down onto it either. You just need to keep oil from coming out and dirt/water from going in....
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎