X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stubbie
    Experienced
    • Jul 7 2011

Where has our Summer Gone

Hope you guys have a better summer than were having. First week of February, raining. Last Thursday 17c. Coldest Feb day ever. That day last year 42c. Friday 116mm of rain. More rain than Jan, Feb, March and April put together normally. Today cloudy storm expected later, rain Monday and Tuesday. Flood watch for parts of our river community's. Bridge washed away in our south east due to torrential rain through the interior. Glad I live on a hill.
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by stubbie
    Hope you guys have a better summer than were having. First week of February, raining. Last Thursday 17c. Coldest Feb day ever. That day last year 42c. Friday 116mm of rain. More rain than Jan, Feb, March and April put together normally. Today cloudy storm expected later, rain Monday and Tuesday. Flood watch for parts of our river community's. Bridge washed away in our south east due to torrential rain through the interior. Glad I live on a hill.
    Sums up our 'summer' - except the 42c, we only get that once in a blue moon.
    246mm of rain at Milford Sound ten days or so back, that's a LOT of rain for 24hours!
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I was seeing the reports of flooding in the Perth area on our national news this weekend! It looked bad. Then I saw what Stubbie had to say about it also. I hope our members in the Perth area are all okay.... Please let us know as you can. I am glad to know that Stubbie, like me, lives on a hill. I hope Bill and Wyldie and others do also..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

We can't wait for Summer in Northern USA but for now we have this to deal with:
        Winter Storm Warning
        Massachusetts, 3 hours ago (right now it's Sun., ~1:30am) – National Weather Service
        Accumulations: 8 to 12 inches of snow. Hazard types: Include moderate to heavy snow, as well as blowing snow.
        •Timing: Snow will move into the region Sunday morning, perhaps starting as either rain or a wintry mix and continue into Monday, occasionally heavy at times.
        •Winds: North 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
        •Visibilities: One quarter mile or less at times.
        •IMPACTS: The heavy snow will make many roads impassable with low visibilities and may produce widespread power outages due to the weight of the snow on tree limbs and power lines.

Oh, and one other feature associated with rain... you don't need to shovel it. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

It's not to bad in and around Perth. Some fallen trees and damage to houses. Roads flooded. It's been along some of the rivers and around what we call the Goldfields and Central Wheat belt which is 600km away. They are copping it big time out there. Kalgoorlie had a river down the main street. Luckily it hasn't as yet rained here in Perth today. The town of Northam 100km away the river had rose 4meters as of yesterday. Not sure if it is still raining out there. That river ends up in the city of Perth. Scumdog that is a lot of rain in 1 day. I think we may of drowned if we had that much. Dave you can keep the snow. I only like short ski trips. Too cold otherwise. It's the firs summer that I can remember ever having to put the heater on.

Comment

• Penelope
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 4 2008

As you may or may not have seen, we also had bushfires last week and the main one got to within 500 metres or so of my property...scary times. Especially when you have 5 cars and only 2 people to drive them. We had all our non replaceable memories packed into the back of my wife's car, and if push came to shove I had to make the agonising decision of which bird to take or my 1946 Half ton truck. I still don't know to tell you the truth..

The two days of rain stubbie mentioned extinguished the fire, or so we thought. Last night after 3 warm days, the smoke was back and the red glow. I am hoping when I get home this afternoon the fire crews had stopped it for good.

Wyldie is house sitting not far from me either, but further away from the fire. Where in Perth are you stubbie?
            sigpicBill
            Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Bill! Thanks for the update! I did not know about the fires. They were only talking about the flooding there on our news here. I am glad the rain put the fires out. Yes, that would be quite the decision to make, what goes and what has to stay. I see after the rain, the fires might have started again. I hope the fire crews have been able to put them out for good.

You might have heard about the serious situation they have in California with their Oroville Dam. It is the highest earth fill embankment dam in the country at 770ft, (235m) high. It filled up and overflowed so much it damaged the main spillway and the emergency one. They thought it would break, but so far, it has held. They were able to get the water level down some, but they have more rain in their forecast and later runoff from the winter snows. If that dam goes, there is going to be tremendous damage downstream for sure. It is located north of Sacramento and San Francisco. They should have repaired that dam years ago, but refused to spend the money. It may be something that they may regret like never before...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Poor Christchurch here on the South Island of NZ.

First an earthquake shattered the city centre about four years ago.
                Now a raging bushfire is burning on the hills overlooking the city burning property and houses and a helicopter pilot died when his machine crashed while fighting the fire. (Which is now into its fourth day of burning)
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Goodness, Tom! Yes, I remember hearing of the earthquake there. Now I see it is fires. I hope they are able to contain it. I am sorry to hear of the loss of life. California was having their fire problems also that they often have, until along came the rain and put them out, I gather.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected. Hope all gets back to normal soon.
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• stubbie
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 7 2011

Hi Bill. I live in Kingsley well away from the danger of fire and flood. You must be in the Wungong Dam / Byford area are you? Glad to hear you and your cars are safe and sound.

Comment

• Penelope
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Mar 4 2008

Originally posted by stubbie
                        Hi Bill. I live in Kingsley well away from the danger of fire and flood. You must be in the Wungong Dam / Byford area are you? Glad to hear you and your cars are safe and sound.
                        Yes, we are in Darling Downs, just west of the South Western Hwy. Kingsley is safe for sure!
                        sigpicBill
                        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎