Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My birthday present to me - a '66 Town Hardtop.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WC145
    • May 5 2012

I turn 50 later this month and have been looking for an older car for a gift to myself for a while. Picked up this '66 a few weeks ago, it's all there, well cared for and very solid, though it hasn't been driven much in the last few years. I've been cleaning it up, added the wheels and tires, did the usual tune up (added a Pertronix Ignitor II), replaced the tired 4100 with a Holley 1850, new shocks are going on this week (might lower the front end for a little more rake, haven't decided), then I'm replacing the exhaust. Nothing too wild, just a cool, modestly hot rodded cruiser I can enjoy with the wife.

Hope you all like it. Comments, ideas, and suggestions are more than welcome.

This is the pic from the Craigslist ad-

This is how it looks now that I've cleaned up a little and added a set of 17x8 Coy's C57 and 235/50 tires-

Here's the interior before I cleaned up all the chrome, still looks good, I think-

• lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

Very nice car. New wheels look great and the interior looks like new. A very good birthday present indeed.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Scott, that is a really nice looking birthday present to yourself! It looks to be in excellent shape and I see you are making it look even better. I am always looking for Flairbird and Bulletbird candidates for the Squarebirds Calendar. If you would like to have yours considered for selection for 2013, take some really good, high quality digital pix of her with a setting of 300dpi, 3,000pixels, 3MP and higher on your camera and email them to me sometime over the Summer. Find a nice looking background that does not detract from her. Views like in these pix you posted are good. Congratulations as it looks like you found a winner!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Nice Bird ...

Is it a 390 or 428? Wheels look great. Mike

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

That cleaned up real nice. I bet the prior owner could have gotten more if they'd have done that first. Good for you, I guess.

Like the new wheels. Will the skirts fit? The Flair birds don't look near as awkward as the Squarebirds without skirts, but I still think it'd look better with them. They visually lower the car.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• Deblib
            Apprentice
            • Apr 30 2012

Birthday present

I like it! Looks sharp in black and the interior looks great!
            Debbie #38435

Comment

• WC145
              • May 5 2012

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'll post some more pics once the front end is lowered and I get a few more things finished.

Ray - I'll get out to Bar Harbor sometime soon and try to take some nice pics, lots of pretty backgrounds around there.

Mike - It has a good running 390, it would be very cool to have a 428 but I'm happy with it the way it is.

dgs - I haven't tried the skirts with the new wheels, it would be a tight squeeze, if they fit at all. I'll have to try them and see. Hate to cover up the new rims, though!

Deb - Thanks for the compliment. The car is actually dark green, not black. It was over cast when I took the pictures, I think that makes it look even darker.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Scott it's always nice buying your own BDay present and it would appear that you made a good choice. Looks sharp, clean, majestic and classic just as she is. Now, with those rims, I wouldn't cover them with anything other than a good sealer to keep them " gleaming Skirts on the earlier models look okay ( can be a royal pain when you have to change a tire ) but yours let em shine. My two cents..
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍