X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

Edelbrock 1407

Hi, came across this carb for sale. It was only used for engine testing and has no mileage - it looks brand new.
    I'm looking for any input on this carb as I know next to nothing about carbs. I eventually want to have a 390 or 428 with an edelbrock RPM performer intake and a mild to mid cam. Gas mileage (economy) is not an issue.

thx in advance, Dave J
  • KULTULZ

EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 750 CFM, MANUAL CHOKE CARBURETORS

CALIBRATED FOR PERFORMANCE

Designed and calibrated for optimum street performance in small-block and big-block engines with Performer RPM, RPM Air-Gap and Torker II manifolds and with Performer manifolds on large cubic-inch engines. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Electric choke #1478 can be added if needed. Comes with: Metering Jets - Primary .113, Secondary .107; Metering Rods - .071 x .047; Step-Up Spring - orange (5" Hg). Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed, see Installation Items. For auto trans throttle lever adapters and more, see Tuning Accessories.
    SOURCE- -EDELBROCK CARBURETORS-

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Thx Gary, I ws mostly wondering if someone might chime in with personal experience. Something like, "oh no, don't go edelbrock, it's crap compared to the Holley". etc.

This is the add and pictures I was looking at buying.

If it's still available this Friday the guy said I could make him an offer - maybe get it for $150. Seems like a good deal. Plus, from what he tells me I can buy different jets from Edelbrock for $15 and go smaller if needed.

thx!

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by davidmij

Thx Gary, I ws mostly wondering if someone might chime in with personal experience. Something like, "oh no, don't go edelbrock, it's crap compared to the Holley". etc.
        Well, I am a HOLLEY/AUTOLITE 4100 man myself. The EDELBROCK is a continuation of the orgional CARTER carb. It is a quality product and is an easy bolt-on. Performance parts/upgrades are available directly from EDELBROCK and it is easily tunable. The last one I installed was on a 350 Stove Bolt... ... but it woke up the engine. They are also popular as replacements for original CARTER installs (LINC).

A 750 CFM is a little much for the street (IMO) but if the engine is modified to the point of accepting the flow, nothing wrong with it.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

This is the add and pictures I was looking at buying.

If it's still available this Friday the guy said I could make him an offer - maybe get it for $150. Seems like a good deal. Plus, from what he tells me I can buy different jets from Edelbrock for $15 and go smaller if needed.

thx!
          We have the 1406 on one of our 65 Tbirds and an older Carter on another one, both have been nice solid carburetors. They don't seem to create much drama and are easy to adjust and tune from my experience with them.

The 58 TBird is running a 390 with the Carter 650 on a performer intake with a mild cam, and it runs really nice.

Be careful about running to large a carburetor on your motor though, the 1407 might be to much for the 390? I know I ran one on our olds with a strong 455 and that motor did not like it in the turns. We finally landed with a Holley 650 jetted up to feed the 455 and the motor really likes the smaller carb.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The Edelbrock's are great carbs. However I agree that the 1407 might be too much for a 390. A 1406 would be a better fit. If it's cheap enough you can probably resell it, get a used 1406 and have money left over.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

By 1406 do you mean a Holly?

Right now I have the original Autolite 1406. I like it and it's OK but I'm kind of planning down the road to have the 390 stroked , and/or build something bigger.

Being that you can downsize the jets on the Edelbrock I thought I could use it now and also later when I beef up the 390. Or is it a better idea to go with a smaller carb now, and a bigger one later?

Dave

Comment

• triple60squares
                Experienced
                • Jan 25 2013

edelbrock is the only way to go I wouldn't run a holley on a lawn mower on the 390 the 750 will be fine be sure to keep your fuel pressure below 6 lbs if not you will blow fuel past the needle and seat I have 5 edelbrocks all are straight out of the box with only basic setup tuning done and have NO problems out of any of them

on the other hand I have never owned a good holley and ive had new, rebuilt, remaned, 600,650, 750,850,2bbls single lines, single pumpers, dual line double pumpers, center squirters, you name it all were garbage

ive had many carter/edelbrocks all were awesome except maybe one thermoquad
                60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
                60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
                60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

By 1406 do you mean a Holly?
                  I mean an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carburetor. That's the closest to the original Autolite 4100.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• davidmij
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 17 2011

I guess I should have been more specific up front.

I have c4ae- 6090g heads. The have the large intake ports. I also have FPA headers and 2 1/2 pipes through straight glass packs. I plan having the heads rebuilt and a little porting and polishing done. I also plan on putting the carb on an Edelbrock RPM Performer intake. That should give me fairly decent flow.
                    If I understand correctly I can change the jets out fairly cheaply on the 1407 if it is too much for my set up.

Also, we are at 7,000 feet elevation. From what I've read that means I should adjust toward a more "richer" mix because we have less oxygen here.

I think I'll buy it and give it a try. I can always sell it if it's over kill.

My current autolite is a manual choke so that will be easy enough. I believe it is a vacuum secondary, I'll have to look.

Dave J

Comment

• KULTULZ

I guess I should have been more specific up front.

I have c4ae- 6090g heads. The have the large intake ports. I also have FPA headers and 2 1/2 pipes through straight glass packs. I plan having the heads rebuilt and a little porting and polishing done. I also plan on putting the carb on an Edelbrock RPM Performer intake. That should give me fairly decent flow.
                      If I understand correctly I can change the jets out fairly cheaply on the 1407 if it is too much for my set up.

Also, we are at 7,000 feet elevation. From what I've read that means I should adjust toward a more "richer" mix because we have less oxygen here.

I think I'll buy it and give it a try. I can always sell it if it's over kill.

My current autolite is a manual choke so that will be easy enough. I believe it is a vacuum secondary, I'll have to look.

Dave J
                      Again-

Originally posted by KULTULZ

A 750 CFM is a little much for the street (IMO) but if the engine is modified to the point of accepting the flow, nothing wrong with it.
                      A lot depends on needed (or unneeded) CFM, degree of engine modifications, gearing and intended use.

For example, the 428CJ and SCJ came thru with a 735 HOLLEY. You may experience low end bogging, etc. but the carb and engine can be tuned to get beyond this. If you are not planning on a thumper but just a mild HP increase, the carb will flow too much.

EDELBROCK has an excellent modifications handbook.

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

davidmij: "Also, we are at 7,000 feet elevation. From what I've read that means I should adjust toward a more "richer" mix because we have less oxygen here."

As there is less oxygen you should be also having less fuel ("leaner") to keep things in balance?

As it is: an 'OK' fuel/air mixture at sea-level will become too rich when at 7000 feet.

Or have I got it wrong/?
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

That is correct, Tom. We are looking for 14.7:1 air-to-fuel ratio. If the air becomes thin, the gas (jets) must be reduced as well or the ratio will be out of whack. Rich mixture wastes gas and produces black smoke. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 17 2011

Thx Gents, yes, I got that totally backwards. No oxygen at high altitude would mean I need more oxygen.

I think I'll get it if he'll let it go for $150. I can always sell it and buy something else.

Really appreciate all the input everyone!

Dave J

Comment

• davidmij
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 17 2011

So, I looked at crate engines on line. 390 short blocks, long blocks, talked to a couple of companies as well. I ended up on the phone with a very reputable machine shop named Anderson's in Albuquerque. I was talking with the owner Doug Anderson (very quiet, unassuming kind of a guy) who has been around for decades. He blew me away with his knowledge of FE engines. For instance when I told him I had c4ae-6090g heads he said that you can't put hardened valve seats in them, there isn't enough material on the head and you'll ruin the head. He said a lead additive will help if I'm worried about burning it up, but on a seasoned head like mine it shouldn't be a problem. He said he'd recommend just going to CJ valves and a matching cam - that will allow for good flow. He said he has some 428 cranks, use one of those will give me a 410 and increase the torque which is what you want on a heavy vehicle like a 59 T-bird. Depending on the shape of the motor maybe go .030 over and end up a little bigger. He said with that sort of set up I could use the Edelbrock 750, put in a number 12 something or other and be good at our altitude. (Albuq is a mile high). He's built engines for a couple of my friends here in Los Alamos and knows the adjustments for our altitude.

Here's a link I found with 2 builds that will most likely suit me??? http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...ns-+%28Edit%29
                              I think this is roughly what I want to do.

Off to a swap meet in Alb today.

thx, Dave

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎