X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

Sputtering from one muffler

Hi, I have another question, I have the 428 motor, Dyno max mufflers original exhaust half way back, H pipe, I am getting a sputtering sound coming from the driver's side muffler, passenger side sounds smooth and even, not the driver's side. The car has new exhaust manifold and gaskets on both sides. The exhaust that bends over the rear axle is not mendrel bent so the bends aren't smooth....at all. I thought the H pipe would prohibit this from happening. Thanks!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Even with an H pipe the majority of exhaust coming out of the driver side muffler is from the driver side of the engine. Sputtering can be a number of things. Your carburetor has two mixture screws. One adjusts the passenger side and one the driver side. It's possible the driver side is not adjusted correctly. You may also have a misfire on that side caused by something else.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

Do a compression check on all cylinders and report your findings.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by jopizz
        Even with an H pipe the majority of exhaust coming out of the driver side muffler is from the driver side of the engine. Sputtering can be a number of things. Your carburetor has two mixture screws. One adjusts the passenger side and one the driver side. It's possible the driver side is not adjusted correctly. You may also have a misfire on that side caused by something else.

John
        It's my belief the two sides of the carb 'serve' four cylinders each, one side of the carb does the front and rear cylinders on one side and the middle two cylinders on the the opposite side.
        And the other side of the carb serves the remaining cylinders.

So I doubt an out of adjustment idle mixture would cause just one side of the motor to splutter.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by scumdog
          It's my belief the two sides of the carb 'serve' four cylinders each, one side of the carb does the front and rear cylinders on one side and the middle two cylinders on the the opposite side.
          And the other side of the carb serves the remaining cylinders.

So I doubt an out of adjustment idle mixture would cause just one side of the motor to splutter.
          If you don't think so turn one of your mixture screws and see how the exhaust sound on one side changes compared to the other side. There's certainly some crossover in the intake and having an H pipe rather than two separate pipes makes it more difficult to troubleshoot but from experience adjusting one side and listening to the exhaust sound is how we learned to fine tune the carburetor when we didn't have a vacuum gauge handy. You are correct in that it's not cut and dry as far as which side but that's where I would start.

John
          Last edited by jopizz; July 15, 2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I like ALL these suggestions. I tend to suspect mechanical faults so Joe's suggestion would reveal a bad valve.

John and Tom's suggestions are probably the correct and cheapest things to check first.

There is another possibility and that is a vacuum leak, which leans the air-to-fuel ratio in the leaky cylinder. So, a vacuum check might help as well. Then, turn on an in-lit propane torch and slowly wave it around the intake gaskets. I would do this outside. If your engine speed increases, you found the leak.

If all this checks out, pull your valve cover off of the faulty cylinder and watch the pushrods and rocker arms as they cycle. You may find one that isn't right. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

This is a case where audio is worth a thousand words. A burnt valve will have a distinctive sound different from many other exhaust noises. If it has a rhythmic sound like a choo-choo train then it's most likely a burnt valve.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                This is a case where audio is worth a thousand words. A burnt valve will have a distinctive sound different from many other exhaust noises. If it has a rhythmic sound like a choo-choo train then it's most likely a burnt valve.

John
                That depends on which valve is burned. Exhaust valves commonly burn but I've seen intake valves that burned as well. You probably have too. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Have the obvious like a bad spark-plug or disconnected plug lead or even crossed leads been checked?
                  A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎