X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdmike63
    Experienced
    • May 4 2017

strange occurance

Hey everyone, took the tbird for a pretty long drive today, she was driving great, came home parked the car for about 20 minutes or so, when I took her back out I reversed out the the drive way into the street, dropped it into drive and it seemed different, like is was not fully in drive, as I drove her she started to stumble, like she was going to stall, I was giving her gas and the motor shook, she stalled, i popped the hood checked all my wires to make sure they were all connected, they were, let it sit for a few minutes, got her started again, idled like crap, engine shaking, like it wasn't getting any gas, started to drive back home, I was only a few blocks away, then she started running great, like nothing was ever wrong, got home in the garage, revved her a few times, great no problems, shut her off, a few seconds later started her up again, rough idle, engine shaking.
    I disconnected the fuel line to the carburetor to check to see if the fuel pump was working, it was, checked the fuel filter, looked ok, just replaced it a month ago, but the gas was real red with sediment in it, the gas tank probably needs to be cleaned out., the carburetor is brand new, cleaned the plugs, wires look pretty new, i'm at a loss, any idea's what could cause this, now i'm afraid to take her out just in case this happens again. thanks everyone!
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

That has happened to me when fire was present inside the intake manifold. It's not a big thing. With a little speed, the fire goes out and it's all back to normal.

Why fire? Sometimes the un-burned gas exiting the exhaust will ignite the intake when scavenging occurs. This is not a backfire.

Why does it go out? In normal operation, intake vacuum starves the mixture for air. The mixture becomes too rich, causing the engine to run rough.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
      but the gas was real red with sediment in it
      I think you answered your own question. Gas isn't meant to be red, it's supposed to be clear. You can clean the tank out but it'll just happen again. If it's the original tank replace it or you'll eventually clog your carburetor so much it won't run at all. Your fuel filter is meant to take out very small particles, not gas mixed with varnish and rust.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
        Experienced
        • May 4 2017

I'm going to order a new tank, there not as expensive as I thought, does everything I need come with a new tank, the straps etc., what else do I need to install the tank. thanks!

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I suggest you order it from Rockauto. They have the best prices and we get a 5% discount. It doesn't come with the straps but they're not that expensive. If yours are in good condition then just reuse them. If you are going to reuse your old sender make sure you clean it good with some carburetor cleaner before you reinstall it. The new tank should come with a new gasket. Sometimes the fill tube is hard to get out. After you remove the bolts it pulls out. You might want to spray some WD-40 or similar to help it along.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
            Experienced
            • May 4 2017

Will I be able to do this just by jacking up the car, should I jack up one side, then put a jack stand, then do the same for the other side? Once jacked up will I be able to get the tank out from under the car?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You will need to jack the car up to get it out. I suggest you do both sides. You need to remove the fill tube before it will come out. If you open the gas flap you will see the bolts that hold it in.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

I heard there is a insulating mat that goes on the top of the tank, is this necessary, also there is pressure sensitive black tape that goes under the mounting straps, is that necessary? Thanks!

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2017

Oh yeah, how do I receive the 5% discount, for being a forum member?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I heard there is a insulating mat that goes on the top of the tank, is this necessary, also there is pressure sensitive black tape that goes under the mounting straps, is that necessary? Thanks!
                    Reuse the mat if it comes down. Sometimes it's stuck to the underside of the car. Most likely the tape will not be reusable. I usually cut a couple of pieces of duct tape and use that between the straps and the tank.

John

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Oh yeah, how do I receive the 5% discount, for being a forum member?
                      Here's how to get the discount.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                        Experienced
                        • May 4 2017

Thanks, I ordered the tank and straps, super easy, got the discount!!! gotta have shiny new straps to go on a shiny new tank, supposed to have it by the 8th, look forward to it, will be in touch if I have any questions with the install. Thanks again

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                          Experienced
                          • May 4 2017

I got the gas fill tube out and noticed it is corroded at the end, I was planning on cleaning it up and reusing it, they cost $90.00, so I would rather not replace it, do you think this is a good idea? Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you can sand it down and get it smooth then it's fine to reuse. I've replaced a number of tanks and never had the tube bad enough where I had to replace it. There's an O ring that seals the tube to the tank so it doesn't leak. As long as it's smooth where it meets the O ring then it should be fine.

John

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                              Experienced
                              • May 4 2017

It's right at the end of the tube, there are several small holes from the rust.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎