Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FjordrIver
    • Oct 6 2009

59 Country Sedan rear body mounts

Found a nicely repainted 59 6 pass. Country Sedan and the rear body mounts seen in the rear deck are rusted through. The mounts are not part of the pan and probably could be removed and replaced. I couldnīt find or see another set of body mounts that were holding down the rear of the wagon. Are there others? The inner rear fenders may need to be replaced are are they the same as the sedan? Iīve seen alot of 57 & 58 body repair parts but not much in 59. Is this a common problem with wagons? Is it worth it to repair or should I look for another wagon?

Thanks! Iver
    California
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by FjordrIver
    ...Iīve seen alot of 57 & 58 body repair parts but not much in 59. Is this a common problem with wagons? Is it worth it to repair or should I look for another wagon?...
    Iver, When you say, "body mounts," are you talking about the outriggers that are attached to the frame? Those parts are used from '57-'59. The floor pan is bolted all the way back to the last crossmember.

I don't mean to sound smart, but I'm from Detroit. NONE of these cars exist, here. I haven't seen a '59 wagon in many years. If you have one, it's very rare, here. Back in the day, they rusted so bad, folks used to just leave them on the side of the freeway to be scrapped.

If you are fond of the '59, by all means restore it. If you don't have a passion for that car, go on to one you do.

I have a '59 Galaxie Fordor, and I love it to death. Out here, it turns many heads. EVERYONE comments about knowing someone who had one in their family, or cite an experience involving that car.

The Country Sedan was Henry's idea of a true family car. That's what he was all about; not retractables or convertibles. He wanted America to have an affordable Ford car for the family to get around in.

I have seen outriggers for sale, and I have a local sheetmetal shop that makes inner body parts to order. Last week, I picked up two floor pans. This shop has a dozen guys fabricating parts for all classic cars.

- Dave Dare
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• FjordrIver
      • Oct 6 2009

thanks for the info. the car had quite a lot of fiberglass repair in the dog legs, rockers and the rear inner fenders were rusted out. I think the outer rear fender lips/flare was pure bondo. I think Iīll stay away from this wagon. The brackets Iīm talking about are visible from inside the rear deck, rounded rectangle with a carriage bolt that attached to the frame... I should of taken a picture.

I looked a Ranch wagon today and the same bracket was round? This ranch had less rust but heavy undercoating and... I was not sure about what I was seeing on top was just surface rust. The rockers and doglegs held the magnet so thatīs better.

THANKS SO MUCH for your help and info, again.
      Iver

Comment

• FjordrIver
        • Oct 6 2009

Ditched the rusted body mounts on the Country Sedan and got a 4 door 59 Ranch Wagon instead. Very pleased. I'd put a pic but it seems as though I can't insert or attach... or create a custom avatar. Thanks Squarebirds for having a full size Ford section!

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Here are Fjordriver's pictures. I love the way the his '59 Ford looks:

These are the largest tail lights Ford produced. Nice find!
          Last edited by simplyconnected; November 18, 2009, 06:46 PM.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎