X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'60 Fairlane 500 Of Fullsize Ford!

Eric, who just joined us, sent me a couple of pix of his '60 Fairlane 500 that he is working on. He bought her last year. Here is what he had to say.

"These photo's were taken the day I got it home. Since then I have replaced all the lenses, rebuilt the carb, flushed the cooling system, replaced the water pump & hoses, installed the original glass bowl fuel pump, new gas tank with sending unit and fuel filter. Then replaced all the belts converted it to an alternator from a generator, replaced plugs, wires, coil, new exhaust pipe with a Thrush turbo muffler and next week hopefully tires. That said I should be able to drive it cross country if I wanted."
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Hey Eric,
    Nice! Love them old FORDS! Keep us posted!!!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

With a little soap, water, and a GOOD buffing you might have some more life left in the white paint too!!

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• FINSRIN
        Experienced
        • Aug 7 2010

was my first car

Originally posted by YellowRose
        Eric, who just joined us, sent me a couple of pix of his '60 Fairlane 500 that he is working on. He bought her last year. Here is what he had to say.

"These photo's were taken the day I got it home. Since then I have replaced all the lenses, rebuilt the carb, flushed the cooling system, replaced the water pump & hoses, installed the original glass bowl fuel pump, new gas tank with sending unit and fuel filter. Then replaced all the belts converted it to an alternator from a generator, replaced plugs, wires, coil, new exhaust pipe with a Thrush turbo muffler and next week hopefully tires. That said I should be able to drive it cross country if I wanted."
        Gee Whiz.... Looks exactly like my first car. Model, color, hub caps. Interior green?
        Bill

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Eric looks great and as you stated is just about ready for a cross country cruise. My son-in-law has a 60 Galaxie ( as you know was a " one off " year ) built in Windsor Ontario that he is bringing back slowly. It was definitely a unique body style that most have not seen before but certainly rides very well.
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Congratulations for owning a great old classic Ford! I love all the improvements you've done, too. For now, I can only suggest you go with disk brakes if you drive it around modern light cars.

If you are passionate about owning a beautiful '60 Fairlane 500, this restoration journey will bring you a lot of joy. Put 'finished' pictures around your garage, and keep your eyes on the prize. Eventually, you will get there. When you do, much of yourself will be in that car. Then you can truly call it, 'yours'. There's nothing like it.

Take plenty of pictures along the way. There's no such thing as too many pictures. You will refer back to them and wish you had more angles as you look at details.

By all means, share with us. If you have any questions about anything, please post them. I love your car. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Fullsize Ford
              • Sep 1 2010

Hey guys thanks for the support. Earlier last week I gave her new tires so it’s easier to get around. I have no idea what the effect will be to my speedometer but I went with a 205 instead of a 195 which will raise the vehicle a ½ an inch and hopefully will allow me to cruse at higher speeds. The newer Goodyears took away about a third of my body roll issues and has made it easier to drive.
              Dan, what kind of condition is your son-in-laws seats? Jed Zimerman will be producing seat foam for mine in the spring, presently I am looking at seat cover suppliers.
              Sorry Bill mine has blue interior but I did see one once go on eBay in Missouri with green interior. The door and side panels are in good condition with the exception of the passenger side door which will have to be replaced.
              Eric

Comment

• FINSRIN
                Experienced
                • Aug 7 2010

Good to hear what you done so far.

Good to hear what you done so far. Is right that you work on it and you will be a part of it and it will be an expression of you from car you selected plus what you put into it. I got a ruff Studebaker for free, restored it and added personal touches. Makes you and car connected in a way.

Studebaker restoration shop said to forget it but I wokred on it anyway. Was very rewarding experience. Car is even in a movie.

What is motor and trans in Fairlane 500 ?

Bill

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Eric his seats are in surprisingly good shape. It's the floor pans that are gone
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍